They Handicap the BEST Horses...

I’ve never been fond of “politically correct” euphemistic terminology, and in particular the one that describes handicapped people as “differently abled.” Sure that paraplegic computer whiz can run a keyboard as fast as anyone else, and to avoid hiring him because he can’t walk is just plain stupid. The fact remains that he does have that limitation, and it’s tacky of me to either consider him limited in other ways because of it or not to honestly take it into account.

What happened last night gave me a slightly different view on that usage, though. I was at an evening service at our church, a rather informal one where experimental things can be tried without offending the old school members. And they had seven people who interpreted the psalm for the evening in dance as it was chanted. One of those seven was an 11-year-old girl who is in the “blind-deaf” category, i.e., though she can see some, she is legally blind and also hard of hearing.

What she was, though, was a very graceful communicator through dance. She was sure-footed and graceful, and the limitations that impeded her everyday interaction with the world were just plain not there. And I was deeply touched by it.

You might want to consider a different name for your topic, as the current one will not tempt people to read your touching story - which it is.

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)