People with missing limbs creep me out.

I saw two people in the same store today. One had a missing arm below the elbow ( no prothesis) and another only had two fingers. I don’t know why but it always creeps me out. Sorry.

I dated a guy that had lost a leg from a motorcycle accident. He was the sweetest thing in the world. I was so proud to be seen with him. It was my fault that I lost him. I wonder who was the one handicapped…

And just where have you been my friend?

Alright CONCRETE!! hehe
I don’t like women with sharp nipples.

So my secret plan of cutting off my own legs and becoming aha’s secret gay lover won’t work? Damn. Have to come up with something new.

ultress:

Very sweet of you to notice I have been away lil buddy. I have been on the road teaching teachers about computers.

Meanwhile back on topic:
I reckon when I see people with missing digits or limbs I am just reflecting my own fear of how I might handle it if it ever happened to me.

A friend of mine in high school was missing his left arm below the elbow–birth defect–and he was madly in love with this girl who refused to date him because of what she called “You know, the arm thing.” Man, she was such a bitch, but she was really hot, so of course she got away with stuff like that. . .

Well, good thing they’re not on display for your edification.

The “No Arm” thing would make me a little ill at ease too…

When I tended bar in my younger days, there was customer who had only a thumb and pinky finger on each hand. He played a mean game of pool, but was obnoxious to all the other patrons and staff, so whenever he would order a drink I would place any coins he received for change spread on the bar. There was a lip at the front and back to contain spills so he couldn’t just slide the coins off, he’d struggle with the coins trying to get his pudgy fingers under them…

Ahhhh, Good times, Good times.

Yardstick,

I’m not exactly the most PC poster here (Teeming Millions: “We can attest to that!”), but that’s just plain mean. If someone’s an asshole in your bar, tell them about it. Don’t embarrass them by pointing out their handicap! What the hell do the two have in common? Nothing.

What do you do when a “normal” (meaning unhandicapped) customer behaves like an ass? I suggest you do the same to a handicapped guy who behaves like an ass.

The year was 1986. I was struggling with a year and half old child, work and new seperation from child’s father. Money was tight. Christmas was coming.

My friend Sue bought a Christmas tree for us, knowing that I wouldn’t have spent the $$ on one that year.

That Christmas, I also sat with Sue at the hospital while her husband was having his left leg amputated just above the knee. He’d been insulin dependant diabetic since he was a baby, and a small cut on the bottom of his foot had gotten infected, and wouldn’t get better. After the operation, his face was no longer the color of the pillow case.

He had to quit his business in pest control, but he refused to not work. He started selling home security systems. Once, while on a visit to a prospective buyer, their dog took off after him and bit him. Yes, in his real leg - he quipped ‘yea, the damn thing couldn’t have gone for the other one’.

Diabetes eventually took his other leg and shortly after, his life as well.

I understand your position aha, about not knowing how you would handle a situation. For me, personally, whenever I see some one missing a limb, I think of my friend Ed and smile with them both.

Resident disability PC police here. Not really, but I just have to say- I think the OP is extremely rude. I seriously doubt you would come here and say “People who have Down’s syndrome creep me out” or “People who use wheelchairs creep me out” (At least I hope you wouldn’t)

Don’t be sorry that it creeps you out, but be sorry for professing your disgust/creeps/whatever to a board full of people, many of which may have a physical disability. No one says you have to be friends with or nice to anyone, but you certainly don’t have to come here and express “the creeps” about a person who cannot help a physical disability.

By the way, the World Health Organization defines disability this way. Read it, please.

The most commonly cited definition is that of the World Health Organisation in 1976(1), which draws a three-fold distinction between impairment, disability and handicap, defined as follows.

'An impairment is any loss or abnormality of psychological, physiological or anatomical structure or function;

a disability is any restriction or lack (resulting from an impairment) of ability to perform an activity in the manner or within the range considered normal for a human being;

**a handicap is a disadvantage for a given individual, resulting from an impairment or a disability, that prevents the fulfilment of a role that is considered normal (depending on age, sex and social and cultural factors) for that individual’. **

The single largest problem experienced by disabled people is being handicapped by the attitudes of others. Don’t handicap other people, please.
If you would like more information on disability rights and the everyday “handicaps” experienced by people with disabilities, drop me an e-mail and I’ll be happy to enlighten you.

Zette

Er, nice to see you back, aha.
:slight_smile:

I would do the same thing. When the bar was wet, there was sort of a suction effect on the coinage. No one liked it. It wasn’t a lack of fingers that was the problem for the guy, it was his chubby fingertips and close-cut nails.

Of course, the fact that he played up his “handicap” and used it as a con device when he played pool to prey upon peoples misplaced sympathies, he pointed it out more than anyone else.

[flame]
Coldfire,
This guy was far from having a “handicap”, that’s your assumption and exactly the case of people “being handicapped by the attitudes of others” Zette had eloquently pointed out, and exactly what this guy wanted.
That is what the two have in common.
[/flame]
My apologies to everyone, even you Coldfire. I had to dig through a foot and a half of snow for well over an hour this morning, I’m a bit cranky.

My dad has only one arm - 1.33 actually. He was born with a right arm that terminates above the elbow. He is not, by any definition, handicapped.

Dad was raised, like most rural Georgians of the time, on a farm. His father did not see him as handicapped and expected my dad to carry a normal share of the farm chores. He was treated no differently than his physically whole brother. It was the right thing to do, IMHO.

In high school dad lettered in track as a sprinter and pole vaulter. Yes, pole vault. I have a picture, clipped from the Atlanta Journal newspaper, of him in mid-vault. He also lettered in football (linebacker) and was selected by WSB radio as city of Atlanta defensive player of the week on multiple occasions. He played trumpet in the band. He coached my little league baseball team every year. He can catch the ball in his glove, flip it into the air, tuck the glove under his stump, barehand the ball, and throw to first quicker than most two handed people. We golf together several times a year.

His chosen profession was auto mechanic, and he’s damn good at it. By his one-armed self he can do things to an engine that I have to call a buddy to help me with. I’ve watched him all my life and he still regularly amazes me.

His sense of humor is legendary. It’s not unusual for a kid to come up to him and say “Mister, what happened to your arm?”. Often as not Dad will look down, get a horrified expression on his face, say “It’s gone! Help me find my arm!”, and take off running. The kid does too, but usually in the other direction. When our preacher broke his right arm in a skiing mishap, Dad volunteered his services. He figured if they stood side-by-side at the podium they could lead music.

I’m not offended that missing limbs creep you out, aha. Dad wouldn’t be either. It’s normal to feel that way. Of course, people who have known him any length of time tend to forget he only has one arm. It just ain’t an issue.

I’m really glad my mom had more class than that.

People with missing limbs aren’t creepy.

Limbs with missing people–that’s creepy.

aha has every right to tell us what creeps him out. Everyone is creeped out by something. I don’t see any mention in aha’s OP that he considered them ‘handicapped’. (Webster’s:
having a physical or mental disability that substantially limits activity especially in relation to employment or education).

Nor does he say they are ugly, non-beneficial to society or less a person than others. They simply creeps him out, as he said, probably cause he doesn’t know what he would do if he was in that position.

Seems to me a fair assumption of how he feels, perhaps one of the best ways I’ve seen it put on the board.

Moderator’s Notes: Yardstick, although your “flame” was a pretty weak attempt, please make no more attempts in this forum. Flames are inappropiate for MPSIMS. If you feel you must attack other posters, and don’t construe this as an invitation to do just that, we have reserved the BBQ Pit for posts of that nature. Thank you.

handy:

Thanks handy. It ain’t PC but it’s exactly how I feel. Besides when was the last time we were all PC in this forum?

One would have thought that after reading my subseqent post about 5 replies down that they would have had a better insight to my OP.

Ah well here it is again anyway.
aha:

In my youth, I used to play hockey against a guy named Warren who only had one arm and a functional hook on the other stub.

There was a loose puck in the corner and I had the opportunity to check him hard into the boards. But I let up.

A split second after I let up, Warren wheeled around and nailed me with a hard hip check sending me flying over the boards into the snow with my gear exploding like Charlie Brown after a pitch.

Warren and I played on the same team the next year and became good friends. I wish I never let up on him that day.