they really ARE using pre-emptive lying! Palin clears self!

They don’t really have a lot to lose by doing this. If they’re right, then woohoo, she’s the persecuted innocent. If they’re wrong, then their careers are over, whether they pre-emptively lied or not.

Well that’s a relief.

I just hope all you haters and heathens are ashamed of yourselves.

They’ve mobilized the Rush and Fox ‘news’ crowd. Creationist Barbie the Republican ‘super star’ has crowds convinced Obama is a terrorist, shouting abuse at ‘gotcha’ news media and yep, even stirred up some convenient racial hatred.

If Palin’s lips are moving, she’s lying. Her moronic supporters don’t care. They haven’t yet. She could be caught humping Queen Latifah and they’d claim she was just laying on hands to save a poor sinner. I shudder to think what it would take to actually end this cunt’s political career.

It’s absurd to accept a self-serving statement from an accused as having much probative sway.

Of course, it was absurd to accept ACORN’s statement clearing themselves of wrongdoing, too. How many of you did that?

I am consistent. ACORN’s self-serving statement was essentially meaningless. Palin’s self-serving statement is essentially meaningless.

Ask yourself, Gentle Reader, if you apply the same standards across the board, or do they vary depending upon who is at the receiving end?

TVeblen, Darth Sidious called and left a message for you. I didn’t get it all, but there was something about, “Yessss… yesss… I feel your hatred… it gives you power…”

And the cleaners called; your cape and breathing apparatus are ready.

Tu quoque!

Is that a bingo? Do I win?

If you understood what tu quoque meant, you might.

Are ACORN running for Vice-President of the United States, then?

I condemn vote-fixing by some organisation I’ve never heard of.

But an unqualified Creationist mouthing Rove’s insults and grabbing for national power scares me.

Tu quoque: Latin for “You, too” or “You, also”.

Where’s my prize?

The question is how you (the collective you) apply standards.

Whether Palin scares you or not is irrelevant to this thread. Does Palin’s self-serving denial of the ethics charges against her carry any persuasive weight?

Answer: of course not. Regardless of whether she’s innocent as a newborn or as dirty as a coalbin, the fact that she clears herself is not persuasive. That’s the point of the thread.

The point of my comment was that a self-serving denial of guilt is not useful in any other case, either.

Do you understand how it’s meant in argument analysis? Your translation is spot-on, but I assumed you were suggesting that my post suffered from the fallacy of the same name.

If you were simply spouting random phrases in a dead language, I apologize for disturbing you.

What the fuck is it with you an ACORN? Jesus. Go back to the thread about it, why don’t you?

I shouldn’t answer this hijack, but no, I didn’t accept it. I read in an article on ACORN that they were protesting innocence, but it’s the kind of thing you always say to reporters. It’s the kind of thing you say after a car accident. Everybody does it, because it’s prudent; besides, as both political parties are fond of saying, don’t tar an entire organization by the actions of a few. It’s clear that at minimum there was a problem, but it does not appear to be a systematic problem involving a vast conspiracy of silence throughout the organization at all levels. Find the people responsible and charge them with whatever crime is appropriate.

Innocent until proven guilty, that’s the rule. But as far as I know, ACORN didn’t release a 20-page report written by the Obama campaign which exonerates itself completely of all blame, the day before the official report came out — that just looks suspicious as hell. That’s what appears to be happening here. It’s as convincing as OJ’s book.

You can’t throw out an entire organization because one person within it abused its power, or even vice-versa. That would be like saying all Republicans are as stupid as Bush … or that because Democrats bear some blame for the economy, it is therefore all Obama’s fault.

Honestly, you’ll do yourself a service to read all of his posts in the voice of him. It makes everything he says make a lot more sense. YMMV.

Then you’re not the target of my barb here.

My objection is to double standards. Don’t argue here in this thread that Palin’s actions are ridiculous and then hop over to the ACORN thread and think, “Well, of course they did nothing wrong; they said so!”

I say again: Palin’s denials are absurd.

But I also said that ACORN’s denials are absurd.

If you accept Palin’s and crucify ACORN’s, I’m needling you.

Or if you accept ACORN’s and crucify Palin’s, I’m needling you.

Friend Bricker, this thread is about Palin clearing herself of wrongdoing. It is not about ACORN or any other assorted nuts. Please note that many of us did not accept ACORN’s statement as absolute truth, myself included. So to answer your question, NO, my standards do not vary depending on who is at the receiving end.

Also, in Palin’s case, the statements went beyond explanation or defense, and into the territory of “I am now cleared of wrongdoing because I said so”

I am waiting for them to decalre they won the election before November 4.

I, elucidtaor, do hereby renounce, denounce, and condemn any and all examples of blatant lefty doper hypocrisy, and do most solemnly beg the pardon and forgiveness of our Official Scold, friend** Bricker**.

I hereby extend this blubbering apology to any and all such examples of blatant lefty doper hypocrisy that **Scold Bricker **has previously exposed, and any such examples as he may uncover in the future.

I further urge the Shining Ones to construct a smiley depicting a typical SDMB lefty in the act of blatant hypocrisy, so that **Scold Bricker **may access it at any time, on any thread, and save himself valuable time to apply to other, more useful, pursuits, such a tending to his knitting and the construction of tiresome legalistic justifications for the behavior of the Forces of Darkness.

So let it be written, so let it be done! Tremble, and obey.

Ooooooh, the sting!

You’re a pathetic little shit, Bricker. You get your rocks off sniping at me at random. Hey, knock yourself out, internet tough guy. It’s very…impressive. Really.

http://www.derfcity.com/n/newtoon1.html

That was pretty funny, actually.

What’s with you lately? Your posts are giving me the impression that you’ve gone off some meds or something.