Things every Doper should know

I have yet to meet a woman that this would work for.

Hate in your heart will consume you, too.

Always consider the source. And consider it yourself, don’t count on someone to do it for you.

I think what picunurse is saying is that you should lie down only with people who have exactly the same number of problems as you do. This is easy enough as long as you first quantify the number of problems you have, and reveal this to your partner. In fact, it would be really easy if we just wore shirts with numbers on them like “3” or “7”, so everyone would know how many problems everyone else had and could seek out sex partners accordingly.

At least, that’s my interpretation.

Oh, and my words-of-wisdom contribution:

You will end of imploding in it.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it.

Is that why there are both exclaimations points and periods at the ends of two if the above sentences? :smiley:

Always yield the right of way. Why be dead right?

My pleasure.

There is a special form of madness that allows people to use legalisms and formalities to advocated unwise and indefensible positions.

Pacifism is a sill, other-worldly ideology for silly. other-worldly people.

Some people simply need killing. It is a shame it is true, but it is true.

Simple words are good. Old simple words are best of all.

Clear writing is a sign of clear thinking. Unclear writing is a sign of muddled thinking.

Writing three-page letters is not a certain sign of insanity, but is certainly is a symptom that bears watching.

Learning the local language is the key to everything.

Coffee tastes better when it’s local and the barista takes his/her job seriously, instead of treating it as a fast-food gig. (Being of the latter barista pool, and hoping to transition into the former, I should know.)

On a similar note, should you ever encounter a menu in a language you don’t speak fluently, you should always insist on a word-for-word translation from a trusted source. Preferably multiple trusted sources, none of whom are native speakers taking you out to lunch. Because they’d probably rather tell you it’s cow brains after you take the first bite. This is especially true if the main ingredient is well-hidden by less important ingredients like a tortilla, lettuce, etc.

Nah, ditch the whole sneaker system and wear combat boots at all times. When the zombies take over, will you be ready or will you be dinner? Come to think of it, this is a good way to think about everything. Example: If you wear contacts, do you have a pair of glasses handy most of the time? Realistically you may not need to worry about hiding in the wilderness from zombies until your contacts dry out–but if you’re ready for that, you’re also ready for the bout of pinkeye you catch from a coworker.

For the menfolk: Let your lady paint you up at least once. The confidence to wear your girlfriend’s makeup in public is sexier than most feats mortal men can aspire to. And you will be rewarded.

And for the everyonefolk: wake up with a high-fiber breakfast and a cup of strong coffee every morning. Your entire digestive system will thank you.

Your opinion doesn’t qualify as a thing every Doper should know.

But, makes for an excellent story line to any martial arts film.

Allow me to kill this thread with my additions:

You cannot change the wind; only adjust your sails.

Some questions are best left unanswered. For instance, I remain grateful to this day that I never answered the question: “If I hold the blades of the blender with my fingers, is the motor torquey enough to start?”.

Everyone’s life is uniquely hard in ways an outsider cannot tell, or understand.

Karma may or may not exist. Living as though it does, however, can’t possibly hurt.

Nobody ever changed their religious beliefs based on an argument in a bar. It’s just not worth it.

If other party’s candidate is a jerk, that doesn’t mean your party’s candidate isn’t.

No matter what you do, somebody is going to be offended by it.

Always credit your source. People who like these just might want to read Time Enough For Love by Robert A. Heinlein to pick up the rest of the wisdom of Lazarus Long.

1)Buy low, sell high.

1. Never stand up in a canoe.

2. Hi Opal!

I have yet to meet one it doesn’t work for.

Your personal beliefs would not make good public policy most of the time.

Plant more trees than you cut down. This applies both literally and metaphorically.

Is that the knowledge you wish to impart, or a comment on the thread?

(And how did this thread become a collection of wisdom? Not that I’m complaining, I just figured it would be more along the lines of "Hey, if you suddenly find yourself peeing all the time, and tired all the time, and your vision abruptly gets bad, go to the doctor and get yourself checked for diabetes.)

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Leave the world at least a little better than you found it.

Love your country, but speak up when it errs.

Inform yourself and vote, dammit.

A Smith & Wesson beats four aces.

“I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.” - Dorothy Parker

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

You can tune a piano, but you can’t tuna fish.

It’s = “It is.” Its = belongs to

It’s “Chief Justice of the United States,” not “of the Supreme Court.”

“Golf is a good walk spoiled.” - Mark Twain

“The best means of ensuring peace is to be prepared for war.” - George Washington

“Most people are about as happy as they decide to be.” - Abraham Lincoln

“I disagree with what you say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.” - attrib. to Voltaire

It’s something I learned at a pivotal point during college. It has served me well to remember it.

Why wisdom? Good question! I thought that was what we going for!

Here’s a non-wise contribution- Baking powder is just a combination of baking soda and cream of tartar. Baking soda requires an acid to do its job. The cream of tartar provides an acid environment, so you can baking powder to a nonacidic recipe and get lift.

So in a pinch you can take baking soda and add cream of tartar to it- voila: baking powder!