Things in The Simpsons you thought were references, but aren't

Just for the record, and because this is the Board of the Nitpickers, I have to point out that this is almost certainly an allusion to Barbarella, a movie starring Jane Fonda when she was a young upstanding actress.

it is a double boob hook.

it it a hook on the name, and maybe boobs, to Barbarella.

it is a hook on the character, and definitely boobs, to Elvira.

This quote sounded like a homage but never figured out what to:

My brain was going down this path, but took it further: Gilliam also directed “12 Monkeys,” which DOES involve travelling back in time.

So Homer could be confusing one Gilliam movie with another, and also thinking Brazil is about Brazilians.

Pretty sure “non-sequitor” actually makes more sense here.

So, was tonight’s opening sequence/couch gag a reference to something?

It mimicked the opening of Game of Thrones.

I don’t think it’s a reference to anything. It’s a great speech, though. According to the DVD commentary on that episode, writer George Meyer improvised this speech while the episode was being revised and it made it to the final episode almost unchanged.

The “musky odors” phrase is what sells it.

And the answer is…?

Elendil’s Heir:

Jeremy’s Iron

Genuine Class!

Listening to the commentary from the first few seasons, I think many of these can be credited to John Swartzwelder. They gush over how random, quirky, brilliant, and original he was - and rightfully so. Short of that, just his style influenced and shaped the show enough that these sort of non-sequitors stem from him.

Let moms acrobatically heft desks.

Forget I asked…

Like the time I needed a new heel for my shoe.

“So I says to Mabel, I says…” I was told it had something to do with The Great Gatsby. So I read the entire book just looking for that quote, and it was nowhere to be seen.

It was the last episode produced for Season 5, so perhaps they targeted it as the Season 5 finale and added it as a “summer” reference (although it ended up being the Season 6 premiere).

No jeer, my sir.

Slightly off topic, but in [3F08] “Sideshow Bob’s Last Gleaming”, Sideshow Bob says “Aah, for the days when aviation was a gentleman’s pursuit – back before every Joe Sweatsock could wedge himself behind a lunch tray and jet off to Raleigh-Durham.” Since I live in North Carolina, at the time I assumed that, as a gimmick, they had recorded multiple versions, substituting various cities for different markets. I was surprised to find that this went out nationwide, because I can’t think of any reason for singling out Raleigh-Durham as a comedy destination. Not even “so unfunny its funny”.

The SNPP fan site throws that out there as one possible explanation for the line, but I’m not seeing it. There’s no Myrtle in The Great Gatsby and I can’t remember anyone saying anything like that. I think that line is just supposed to sound kind of vaudevillian- they’re calling your attention to the fact that Bart is only speaking so Homer can interrupt him.

That’s what makes it funny.