Things in The Simpsons you thought were references, but aren't

I know why it’s a comedy destination. Most people only see the name “Raleigh-Durham” on airport Arrival and Departure screens, as there seems to be flights going to and from there disproportionate to its population and place in the rest of American culture. If I got called by a Family Feud poll and asked “name one odd-seeming city you might see on an Airport Terminal screen”, I’d say Raleigh Durham. If the poll allowed a second choice, it would be Wilkes-Barre, but it seems fewer flights these days go there.

It refers to Mabel, not Myrtle.

Now you’re on the trolley!

Sounds a bit like Fibber McGee of “Fibber McGee & Molly”, if it has to be a reference to something. Which it might be, subconsciously, from one of the writers. But it was probably just nonsense meant to sound ‘old timey’, like Bart is occasionally known to do.

It’s funny because it’s true.

Well obsoived!

Too much editing. What I meant to say was that there is a Myrtle in The Great Gatsby, but there’s no Mabel.

When they’re tearing down the Toys R Us, and they show Milhouse with a specific look on his face.

Years later I realized it was the famous photo of the crying frenchman during the Nazis marching the streets of Paris.

Myrt was the phone operator on Fibber McGee & Molly.

Wasn’t aviation pretty much born in North Carolina? Sideshow Bob is talking of a time when people were learning to fly. Makes sense he’d infer those people are in North Carolina, and Raleigh-Durham would be a big fancy town for all those Joe Sweatsocks to head off to.

In [1F13] (Deep Space Homer) there’s a scene where Homer gets angry when an inanimate Carbon Rod gets the “Worker of the Week Award” and not him. Is this from anywhere? It’s just so stylized.

I don’t think so. The gag might have been a reference to all of the previous times Mr. Burns didn’t recognize Homer at work, so he figured that “everybody” had already received the award. (And never mind that, in the episode where Homer accidentally prevents a core meltdown, Homer is named the plant’s “employee of the month”…)

Was this a reference to something?

2F14

Señor Wences.

When I heard the “non-Brazilian” and time travel bit, I figured it was in reference to Santos Dumont, who invented and flew the first airplane (thats how the story goes in Brazil), the 14-bis before the Wright Bros. In that context, the joke is pretty funny.

What else I learned while in Brazil: Levi’s are a Brazilian invention and company.
The car was invented in Brazil. Beer is from Brazil. Samba is repetitive and annoying.

:smiley: