Things that are tricky to Google

One of my favourite bands is called Stars, and since it’s a common word, it can be a bit hard to find out information on them sometimes unless I look up “stars band” or something similar.

A while back I started learning Tunisian crochet, and went looking for some double-ended crochet hooks. I got quite the unexpected education.

:eek: :confused: :eek:

Because that is the address. It was likely a primary landmark, and the address would have simply been “The Palms, CityName, State.”

I have cousins whose address today is “The Clock, CityName, Ireland.”

I thought it was a comedy site? Or maybe that was some other WhiteHouse DOT.

My uncle did a similiar thing though, the very first time he used the internet. He wanted to go to the website for Dick’s Sporting Goods. Well, he typed in Dicks.Com. Nowadays, Dicks has that domain, but they didn’t back then. You can imagine what he found.

“The Palms” was the city name, all by itself; but this was a decade or two before it was annexed by Los Angeles in 1916.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My own name. There are probably tens of thousands of people with the same first and last name out there.

I had a friend from my youth who wasn’t named “John Smith,” but had a similarly common first & last name. I have no idea where he is now, and Google isn’t going to help me.

The parody site is https://whitehouse.org/
which still exists and is still a parody site.

On the plus side, it’s the only time hearing someone say “I just lost The Game!” is anything but tiresome.

There are cheap cigarette lighters that I buy at the local pharmacy that I love. They work way better than other cheap lighters. The brand name is Vintage.

I haven’t been able to find these online or even on Amazon. I just get pages and pages of antique lighters. Changing the search to Vintage brand doesn’t help either. Oh well.

Not Google, but I do the supply ordering for my office, and we use Staples for our office supplies. I had to order staples, and typed “staples” into Staples’ product search and, well, yeah. (This was a few years ago, and they’ve since improved their search algorithms and result displays so you can actually search for and find staples.)

I thought for sure that it would be difficult to Google any information about the band Live (famous in the 1990s for songs like “Lightning Crashes.”) After all, every bar and concert venue in the world likes to advertise that they have a live band performing next weekend. However, I just Googled “live band,” and almost all the results on the front page are about the band in question.

I’ve always wondered what Microsoft was thinking when they named their developer platform .NET

Usually when you’re looking for bands or songs, it might help to use Wikipedia.

This isn’t an impossible search, but it taught me something.

I like bike racing. Yeah, I know a lot of people don’t, but bear with me. A few years ago, Mark Cavendish won a stage of the Tour of Turkey; and for his efforts he was presented, on the podium, with a colossal bunch of bananas. I mean, colossal. The look on his face was priceless - a clip you would want to share with friends.

So I googled <Cavendish banana>.

For those who don’t know - and I didn’t - the standard banana that you get at your local store is a Cavendish (Cavendish banana - Wikipedia). I was very confused by the search results.

BTW - here’s the clip: Cavendish'e TUR2014 İlk Etap Zaferinde Kilosuna Muz Ödülü - YouTube

j

The band Chvrches (pronounced ‘Churches’) spelled it with the v so they wouldn’t be lost in Google. Obviously, searching for “Churches” or even “Churches band”/“Churches music” won’t get you very far.

At one point I needed a picture of black bears involved in mating. So I typed in ‘Bears Having Sex.’

I learned something new about gay culture.

Tangentially related. The band Ultravox had a song on their last album called “Live”. (Originally it was called “Live Again” but there you go.) Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone recorded a live version of “Live” and put it on youtube. Hilarity ensues.

I used to live in a small city called Oakley. I had to add -sunglasses and/or add the zip code to searches when looking for anything local. Except for that one time that I really was looking for eyeglasses.