Things That Go Bzzzzz In The Night: A Ghostly MMP

So, I forgot to mention before that I no longer have an early December gig. I cancelled it this morning. And it will likely be a long, long time before I have another one.

The Reader’s Digest version is that I’ve been doing some soul-searching/having reservations about the whole jazz thing all year; in fact, I’d already started confiding in a couple of people that the 12/1 show could well be my last one. Then this morning some issues with the booker came to a head, and I finally admitted to myself that I’ve been faking my interest/enthusiasm and shouldn’t actually be doing another show. And I think I have legitimate beefs with the booker. So, I cancelled. I’ve notified the three band members I’d hired, and am paying each of them 50% of what I’d offered (as a cancellation fee). I’ve heard from the pianist and bass player, so now I’m just waiting for the drummer to acknowledge my email before I cancel the FB event; I’ll cancel it in the morning if I still haven’t heard from him. No refunds are needed, because no tickets were sold — because no tickets were available yet (among my beefs).

Anyway, the whole situation is way more complicated and emotional than I could ever explain here, but a super simplified version is that I think I’m Done With Jazz…at least, for the foreseeable future. I still have stuff to figure out, including WTF I want to do next (after 13 years of All Jazz All The Time), but in the meantime I’m frankly relieved that this gig isn’t happening anymore. I’m still a jazz fan, though, and will keep going to friends’ gigs, Blues Alley shows, festivals, etc.

Even though I can’t begin to explain/describe everything, thanks for “listening.” :slight_smile:

Some of my favorite moments are coming into the house after being out in bad weather. My place is small, but it’s warm and dry and clean and well-lit and there’s a sweet doggy. I adore that cozy feeling. :slight_smile: