Things You Do When No One Else Is Around

If I’m all alone, I’ll put on my pink Mickey Mouse ears and wear them around. I have a tiara that I wear sometimes too. It gets embarrassing when someone comes home and I forget.

I’m also a big fan of dancing to loud music. BAD loud music, like “Walkin’ On Sunshine” and Ace of Base (what can I say, they were the shit when I was 12 and I still love them.) Also, I do a mean routine to “Natural Woman” and “Respect” by Aretha. You should see my “Sock it to Me” chorus line routine.

I talk to myself.

I lay around in pajama bottoms and a bra for kicks.

I strip naked in my room and strut down the hall to the shower au natural.

I pick my nose and wipe the boogers on the underside of the computer desk.

I read and write (I can tie my own shoelaces too!).

I poke at my stuff too, Medea’s Child, but I think my stuff is different from yours. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can definitely relate to this. I can’t go pee in my bathroom without four children standing outside the door, fist fighting and pounding on the door, all begging to be let in so they can go potty too. Never mind the fact that there is another bathroom in this house, which I seem to have to remind them every single day.

Anyways, at 3 a.m., when the rest of the house is sleeping, I’m either playing The Sims or Escape from Monkey Island, watching Law and Order reruns, raiding the refrigerator, or reading whatever book I’m reading that day. Oh, I also cut my toenails, file (and sometimes paint) my fingernails, clean out my ears with Q-tips, clean the kitchen floor, etc.

1. Go totally insane playing with Cat (we really tend to wreck the place if he’s feeling rambunctious)

2. Collapse in whatever spot I happen to be standing and fall asleep.

3. Come here and reintroduce myself to you bizzare-yet-amusing people.

4. Clean/polish my broadsword.

5. Exercise.

6. I’d walk around naked if I couldnt get walked in on at any given moment…

Side note - that cleaning my sword while naked is not, and will never be, an option. Pants are on at all times while the sharp objects are about.

I’d also like to second ‘Say words that amuse me, over and over, in different voices and intonations’. Love that one!

I do that a lot, too, or other bizarre improvisational noise-making. However I just realized yesterday that since I can hear just about everything that’s said in the kitchen of the apartment directly above mine (thanks to the air-conditioning duct work), I can only assume that they can hear me as well. I’m debating whether to print out a sign to put over the sink: “REMEMBER, THEY CAN HEAR YOU.”

That’d freak out any houseguests I might have, though.

I think this is hilarious!

When I’m alone … let’s see … this list REALLY seems to be, what do you do when you’re alone * and have free time. * I think I remember what that’s like. There was this one day, in 1983 … no seriously, lately the list is:

Reread emails from a certain crush.
Listen to whatever music I want without anyone whining that they don’t like it.
Have a bath or shower.
If I know I have at least an hour (guaranteed) then I will watch one of the tv shows that I tape because I never have time to watch them when they’re actually on.
Surf the web looking for honies.

I think that’s it.

Jeez, I have a dirty mind.

I thought ‘broadsword’ was a euphemism until I read your side note :smiley:

Actually, I catch myself doing this even when I’m not alone, but I make faces when watching TV or reading or chatting online. Like if it’s a sad show I’ll be frowning, or laughing, or looking puzzled… kind of embarrassing when you realize you’re doing it.

I knew it was an actual sharp stick and I still have a dirty mind.

I really need to work on my obsession with swords, knives, sharp pointy things.

With that in mind…Mnementh, how you doing? Want help with that long, dangerous weapon of yours?

[sub] blush Okay, I’ll stop now even though I’m dying to sully the line about pants needing to be on at all times. I’ll be good, I’ll be good…[/sub]

1. listen to music much too loud. Especially Ani.
  2. talk to myself. Carry on extended conversations. Berate myself. Yell. Whine. Whatever seems aproprate.
  3. dance.
  4. wear as little clothing as possible.
  5. play silly repetitive games on my computer.
  6. sing.
  7. play with my hair.
  8. rearrange things. furniture, books, stuffed animals, whatever.

I’m sure there’s more. Or possibly not. It’s a starter list, at least.

Medea’s Child, if you start being good, then other people might follow, and we simply can’t have that. Stop it. Right now.

Kathryn-can I help? Hehehe…

I can give you some suggestions…
What I do:
Crank up the classical station or my collection of classical and instrumental soundtrack cds.
Have imaginary conversations with celebrities.
Imagine myself as a Jedi Knight-hum the Star Wars theme and wave a flashlight around.
Chase my cats
Eat junk food.

I know that a broadsword is an actual weapon and yet I still thought it was a euphemism at first which is why I have a problem :wink:

I knew this was coming :smiley:

okay, so I do ‘polish the broadsword’ sometimes, but I wouldnt call it a hobby.

Damn, but my title is appropriate.

Yes, yes it is…

I do apologise for my own involvement, I really just love pretty sharp things and any mention of them will get my attention.

I usually attempt not to be so awful about it.

[sub]Yup, still blushing…[/sub]

[semihijack]
You’d love T’ton. (The broadswod I polish). Yes, I’ve named my sword. I told you I deserved that title.

I plan to be holding him in the pic in which I’ll be showing off my boobies (check out the Pit thread!), so you’ll get a look yet.

As for my other broadsword, he’ll remain firmly entrenched behind cover. Sorry. :smiley:
[/semihijack]

I read, completely ignoring the laundry, the unwalked dog, the huge piles of mail, the unwashed dishes, my dissertation… it all sits, while I read something.

All truly respected swords should have names. (Though I find it interesting that the sword is the rider…course you did Chose him so I guess that makes sense…) And yes, I probably would love T’ton. For my personal weapon I like short pointy things (easily concealed) I do admit beautiful swords will take my breath away. (faster than hot guys actually…thus my problem earlier. I’m such a geek.)

hmm…showing off your boobies and a long pointy thing fan… I may go back to hitting on you without notice. :slight_smile:

so, where can we get some of these photos? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I scratch my butt,
Bike a lot,
kayak a lot,
fish a lot,
X-country ski (you guessed it) a lot
I like to Eat
right now in my spare time I’m building a fish-house
#straightdope (Curse you, dopers)
playing with my NEWEST toy (Nokia 6190 100% digital Cell phone)
I shoot… I shoot A LOT… (I got so handy with my Shotgun last summer that I could break Triple throws with a pump Rem. 870)
I also collect knives… no kind in particular… I just think I’ll use them, and don’t…

Ad Noctum, “I don’t have much of a hobby, but I’m looking to rent one!”

I talk to things. My cd player, my stuffed animals, pictures, anything that is around.
I make faces in the mirror and pose provacatively as if I was modeling for a magazine or something. Or I’ll just burst out laughing and not stop for the longest time. Man, I love mirrors, they’re funny.
I sing, of course. I’ll sing anything. Just ask some of the Dopers about my “teapot” song…
Mmmmm…poking at things…okay, so that doesn’t occur often…
Anyway, I write a lot. A damn lot. I write at least 6 pages a night in my journal.
I “clean” my room which means that I sort everything out and look at it, then put everything in piles all over my room, paper and books and clothes everywhere. My room is always messier after I clean it.
I read. Like writing, I read a lot, too. I’m quite the bookworm.

I usually listen to classical or jazz when my wife and kids are around. My wife and I watch Merchant-Ivory-type films, foreign flicks, avoiding most Hollywood crap out there.

But when I’m alone (which is not often), I go a little mental. I’ll listen to the most obnoxious music I can find on the radio and rent total crap videos, stuff I can’t listen to and watch when my family’s around.

Whilst out doing some shopping alone, I tuned the radio in the car to the local college station, cranked the volume and listened to some serious death metal; I have no idea who it was, but the vocalist had this incredibly deep growl for a voice, interspersed with screaming vocals like someone’s nuts were being squeezed in a vice. What a hoot! (Anyone know who this band is, based on the description?)

Last summer, the wife took the kids to see my in-laws (I couldn’t go – saving up my vacation days for a previously planned family vacation). I rented Suspiria, Striptease, Dawn of the Dead, Alien Resurrection and Plastic Little. Wow! What amazing crap! I got Fight Club and Ghost in the Shell, too, but I was somewhat disappointed when they turned out to be pretty good.

I dance to music
I pretend I’m some super dude (hey, gotta preserve my youth) of my own creation
Sing
Pick my nose
Molest (well, bother) my cat(s)
Run around the living room
Chat to complete strangers