Things you expected nothing of, but turned out to be great

When my folks used to visit, I would always try to get them to watch some great movie that I know they would never have seen otherwise. One time, I chose Edward Scissorhands, and my dad (who hated any type of horror) was very leery of it. I told him to trust me.
Both of them ended up loving it.

BTW - same for The Nightmare before Christmas.

This was a long time ago, but people right here on The Straight Dope were raving about this TV show about a high school cheerleader who fought vampires. I had actually seen the movie, which was OK but not great, so it took me a while to getting around to the series. I was amazed at how much I cared about the characters.

Ditto. It took a few episodes before I actually started paying any attention, and then I was hooked.

The Guest. There was nothing on the cover or in the description that even remotely interested me. The writer was a guest on Red Letter Media’s Best of the Worst and Re:View, so I checked it out.

It’s pretty awesome.

I found a VHS tape called Requiem For A Dream in a bin my ex girlfriend had from her deceased father. One evening she was gone, the house was quiet, so I put it in for background noise as I played Civilization IV. 20 minutes later I stopped my game and rewound it to the beginning and watched it straight trough. Powerful film.

Ambrosia in concert were very good. Saw them open for the Doobie brothers. They were very similar to the doobies even though at that time their hit was a ballad.

Due to this thread, we watched Hot Tub Time Machine and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, both of which we wouldn’t have otherwise watched. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

What’s your verdict?

Stepping away from movies, I expected nothing of The Order of the Stick. A poorly drawn webcomic with jokes based on a game I never played? No reason to read it.

But I started hearing good things about it and decided to give it a chance. And now it’s a favorite.

Cobrai Kai. On the surface it sounds like a crappy 80s nostalgia cash-grab. But I found it really entertaining (if a bit silly) and they did a great job of making Johnny and Daniel both sympathetic and douchey at the same time.

Future Man on Hulu. I thought it would just be mildly entertaining standard sci-fi time travel action comedy. Turned out to be great.

Second Future Man. I watched it over the summer when there was little else on and it was kind of fun.

Once at a Motorhead concert there were like 3 or 4 opening bands, and as they took their turns each one sucked worse than the previous one. The final band was called Supersuckers and i thought: “Well, that figures.” As it turned out, the Supersuckers rocked like crazy and were an awesome find.

Oops. Thoroughly enjoyed both, but probably wouldn’t watch them again. Of the two I would be more likely to watch Cloudy again as choice for can’t sleep tv. Very glad we watched them.

The set decoration for the run-down ski-lodge was incredible. It really left a strong impression.

Once at the dollar theater we decided to check out a little sci-fi movie called Serenity. We were impressed with the complexity of the universe and the characters, only to find out later the film was based on a TV show called Firefly. So we decided to give it a shot.

As most people here are probably aware, it was damned good TV.