Things You Shouldn't Need To Tell People

My Wife and I had a beautiful wedding on top of a mountain at a ski resort. When all was done, we got back to our car and yes, some moron blocked us in by parking three deep. I was SO pissed off.

I have noticed people do kind of the opposite in a multi level parking garage. They’ll be driving up the ramp and see someone approaching their car, and they will stop and put their turn signal on and sit there and wait, while other cars entering the garage stack up behind them, while the people about to leave are loading their bags, strapping the kids into their car seats, getting in, buckling up, starting the car, and finally leaving. It’s not as if the garage is anywhere near full; there are abundant empty spaces if they just go up another level or two.

I suppose snagging a spot on one of the lower levels feels “closer”, but the garage does have an elevator if they don’t want to carry a bunch of heavy bags up multiple flights of stairs back to their car. In fact if they went up to the top level where hardly anyone parks they could have gotten a spot right by the elevator and actually had a shorter walk.

Nope. You are wrong. You should re-evaluate your assumptions.

To the person in front of me (on the freeway, getting off a plane, getting off a boat, etc.). I know that you think you are being polite by letting every one go in front of you, but it is pretty rude to the rest of us stuck behind your ass.

I’ll make a brief honk at a car up to two cars ahead of me that isn’t moving after a light turns green (after a generous grace period). I’ve never noticed the middle car’s occupants mistake this for a honk at them.

After two cars back, I generally can’t tell what’s going on up there. I give the drivers ahead the benefit of the doubt that there’s something gumming up the works out of their control (or they’d be honking to get #1 in line to stop texting and start driving).

If you are in a queue with people behind you and you let someone in, fine. In that case you should either put yourself at the back of the queue or take the time to ask everyone behind you if it is OK to let the person in.

By simply letting them in without doing any of the above you are inconveniencing everyone behind you and that’s not really your call to make.

But did the folks behind you yell “no cuts”?

“I’ve never noticed…” “I generally can’t tell…” So, when in doubt, don’t honk!

Really, all you are doing is annoying/confusing the car directly ahead of you. Potentially, the driver directly in front of you will now focus their attention on their mirror to try to figure out what the driver behind them is up to, instead of focusing on the driver ahead of them. As a result, the driver ahead of them could pull out and they would now be delayed because they are not focused ahead.

How was your yard sale? Good? Make some money, get rid of stuff? Cool. Now- go take your signs down! Don’t leave them there to rot! It’s a kind of littering.

On top of that, how about when folks are out the next weekend looking for garage sales? Notice that there’s lots of cars cruising past your house? No? Take your signs down!

But if you ARE going to have a garage sale and decide to post signs on busy corners,

MAKE THE PRINT LARGE ENOUGH TO READ FROM A MOVING CAR

Preferably with a bold black marker on white or yellow cardboard.

And don’t just say “Saturday & Sunday” – give the dates.

Position the sign so someone SITTING in a car can see it easily. Don’t post at your eye level when you’re standing up on the curb. (Same with Lost Dog signs… post at the eye level of a car driver.)

You really shouldn’t have to tell people this stuff… :woman_facepalming:t4:

Agreed. My wife and I make a point to thank people who make good signs.

Not only yard sales but panhandlers too. I see them around town, on the street next to Walmart or the grocery store or corner gas station, and they have a cardboard sign about the size of a record album cover with two or three sentences written on it with a sharpie. I can’t even read it when I am stopped at a stoplight, 10 feet away from them. No way someone in a moving car can read that. (I don’t usually give money to panhandlers, but stupid crap like that makes me even less inclined.)

Something I wish more people understood is that “I personally don’t like [thing]” is not the same thing as “[Thing] is bad.” I see this sort of thing all the time in online reviews, and even on this board.

For example, I saw a one star review on Amazon for a certain cornbread mix. The review said something along the lines of “This is a Southern style (unsweetened) cornbread. I prefer sweetened cornbread.” The fact that it was an unsweetened Southern style cornbread was clearly stated in the description and on the packaging, so it’s not like he was complaining that it was unclear. He was literally giving it a negative review because it isn’t the type of cornbread he likes.

I’ll never get a better opportunity to share this picture that I saved ages ago. Gotta give this guy credit for imagination. (But not for legibility or correct use of apostrophe.)

We live on a corner and people like to put their yard sale signs on the stop sign in our easement. If their sign doesn’t go away within a few days, I take it down then go around and find all the other signs and take them down to return them. I don’t feel the obligation to tell the owners to clean up after themselves, I just fling all the signs and scraps and tape and other garbage into their yard and drive away.

I completely agree and applaud your initiative. A true community service.

Preach it brother!

That’s what my wife and I want to do, but we never do.

My town has a lot of people who, leading the left turn lane, seem stunned when the green left turn arrow lights up. Even though this happens in a common and systematic way. I’ve seen cars sit there the entire cycle, oblivious to the car horns behind them. Many Canadians outside of cities are polite and rarely honk. I drive in cities and will wait a few seconds before giving a short, single reminder honk.

I rarely get angry while driving. I think the implication is obvious and if there are intervening cars, they seem to generally understand what is transpiring. If they did get angry, I would stay relaxed since I consider it the job of the car behind the lead car to give a reminder honk. If no one does so, I will step up.

The aggressive drivers, furious at the lead car for not turning more promptly, will occasionally tailgate them or move into the other lane so they can give the driver the icy stare. I do not feel the need to do either of these things.

Me sitting down in the break room and pulling out a book is not an invitation for you to start a conversation with me. If I’m reading, it’s because I want to read. Not talk to you.