Things You've Never Noticed, and Now You Can't Stop Noticing

OHHHHHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSS (sorry) I can’t believe I am not the only freak!

I can no longer read threads till I make all the white lines blue. The worst are the half and half lines! Until I figured out how to fix them I thought I might go mad trying to figure out why they happened. I don’t care anymore cause now they are all blue.

Ok! So I care!! Why, why, why are the blue lines there???

On a much calmer note I am glad I wasn’t the only one duped by CCC :smiley:

The next time you go to a Thai (ding!) restuarant do not (ding!) listen for the bell that (ding!) is in every song. It doesn’t (ding!) matter what restuarant or (ding!) what song there is always (ding!) this little bell in the (ding!) back ground, kind of like (ding!) a triangle like Ed Grimely (ding!) played.

You can pit me later :wink:

The cowbell in Blue Oyster Cult’s Don’t Fear the Reaper. Damn SNL. But thanks to that skit, the world has finally found a part Christopher Walken is not perfect for (rock legend Bruce Dickenson).

I should not be reading this thread. I always become obsessed with these type of things when I learn about them.

I’ve noticed the blue lines before in the threads, but didn’t know I could change the white ones to blue by clicking on them. Damn you, raz!

I had to unsubscribe from a word of the day e-mail list a long time ago because I’d compulsively try to fit these great new words into my daily conversations. I’d also notice these “five dollar words” when other people used them. I’m thinking about subscribing to this again, though.

NNow, I’m off to do something else so that I forget I ever heard about changing white lines to blue…

And if you scroll back up to look at those lines you just meticulously changed to blue, some have turned back to white again.

Gah.

usar_jag, with all of the obsessive/compulsive behavior on these boards, perhaps you shouldn’t start threads like this. :smiley:

Ever since Howard Stern pointed out the NBC announcer’s voice when he’s doing promos for something really dramatic, I can’t even listen to it anymore. “On the next ‘E.Rrrrrrr’.” He’s even annoying to me when he’s doing a promo for a sit-com now. I have to mute the TV.

Me too! It’s all I hear now. No lyrics, no other music, just…cowbell!

It’s funny you say that because one of it’s common names is “Tree of Heaven”. (pre-whoosing myself if you were intentionally saying tree-of-hell for that reason.)

Also commonly called “The Ghetto Palm.”

Supposedly brought here from Asia to beautify and line the streets, but now nothing more than Kudzu or the Nutria.

More on the ailanthus altissima.

Good call, monstro. Baltimore’s City Paper ran a feature about those trees a couple of years. I was glad to have that question of many years finally answered and in great detail, too.

It seems that I am seeing more and more cars around here without a front license plate. I don’t know if the law requiring a front plate has since then been changed. My friend from Kansas recently moved here to Idaho and in Kansas they do not require a front plate. Ever since he pointed out that he sees a lot of cars around here without a front plate I can’t help but notice it. It also drives me nuts since I expect to see a front plate and I like to know where someone is from when I see them driving around.

I also never paid much attention to the cowbell in “Don’t Fear the Reaper” until SNL did their little skit on this. Now I hear it every time the song comes on the radio.

Count me in on the FedEx arrow logo thing.

For the longest time I never noticed that there is no dot in the Dr Pepper logo. I had probably also been writing it as “Dr. Pepper” up until then. Ever since someone brought it to my attention that there is no dot I now take note of this every time I see a Dr Pepper can. (I also had to make a conscious effort to not automatically type a dot after the “Dr” in this post as I would have likley done out of habit.)

Your comment reminded me of a quip from the Matt Groening book, “Work is Hell”.
The Three Warning Signs of Work (or the SDMB, for that matter)

1. Your Boss is Insane
  2. Your Coworkers are Insane
  3. You’re Finally Beginning to Fit In

The Wilhelm Scream . I hear it all the damn time now.

Once you know Yoda’s voice is Grover from Sesame Street, you will never hear Yoda again. Ever.

The feet getting out of a car scene in movies. You know, stock footage. Drives me batty.

I knew right from the start that Frank Oz did Yoda, and I could only hear him as Fozzy Bear the Mystic.

Things You’ve Never Noticed, and Now You Can’t Stop Noticing

Those white transformer boxes at all traffic light intersections.
Traffic lights that are not hung evenly on the poles.

I never noticed either of these until my husband pointed them out, now it drives me nuts when I am sitting in traffic :smiley:

In Foxtrot (the comic strip), when the characters are drawn in profile, their noses point up. I deeply wish no one had ever pointed that out to me, because it’s all I see now.

Yes, now you are all going to suffer too, but that’s the point of the thread.

Ever watch those Police Chase videos on Fox? All the sound effects are added by foley artists. And they do a very shitty job! Every time a car moves, there is a “tire squeal” noise. Every time there is slight contact between vehicles (even when the camera is in a helicopter a couple hundred feet up) there is the same stock “crahsing and glass breaking” noise. I cannot stand to watch those videos. All I can concentrate on is the fake sirens, fake crash sounds, fake squealing noises. It drives me insane!
If you ever watch those tapes for real, all you can hear is a high pitched buzzing sound - feedback from the engine and electronics. Obviously Fox executives figured that an audio track would sound better. But did they have to do such a shitty job at it??

Shannon Dougherty. You know, from 90210 and that damn scare show on Sci-Fi.

Several years ago, I noticed that her left eye is higher and squintier than her right… and now. I. CAN’T. STOP. SEEING. IT.

Honestly, she’s now become absolutely hideous to my eyes. shudder

If you position the scrolling cursor on the space between posts and then scroll a bit, you can get scooped-out areas. More effects discussed here.

Everybody’s missed the third arrow in the FedEx logo. The space between the bases of the “e” and the “d” forms an upward-pointing arrowhead with concave sides.

Where’s the second arrow? I see the one between the E and X, but no others.