Think twice if a crocodile asks, "Gimme a hand, will ya?"

That’s one tough croc! They were shooting it to make it drop the arm, and the bullets seemed to be tickling it. BBC says now it’s a star at the zoo; everyone wants to see it.

But I’ll bet no one wants to shake hands with it.

An aquaintance of mine lost her forearm to a Nile croc. She was bathing in a river in eastern Congo (Zaire) when a croc grabbed her by the arm and tried to drag her in. Fortunately a guy who worked at the field site was also bathing there and managed to pull her to shore. Her arm was so mangled it had to be amputated, though.

Since I had bathed at the exact same spot a few weeks earlier the story really gave me the willies when I heard about it. Now I give any large stream in Africa a very wide berth.

I know crocs have a powerful snap to their jaws, but I was under the impression that they use their mouth primarily to hang on to their target while rolling them around in the water. I wonder if the vet was rolled until his arm gave way, or if it was severed with just a chomp.

I dunno what it says about me, but one of the links is now my desktop picture :cool:

Crikey.

Hey, even tapirs can get out of hand (so to speak):Woman’s arm bitten off in zoo attack.