This is what "Defending your Home" with guns looks like

You wouldn’t necessarily be feeling to sense shape or clothes. You might just reach out and tap to see if a body is there in the bed. If you were touching over the covers, you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between bedclothes and fur.

Also, people really aren’t good at predicting how they or someone else would behave under stress.

Which suggests one shouldn’t have a loaded gun, handy for use in the middle of the night.

I think firing randomly in the dark and killing someone should be the legal equivalent of pre-meditated murder.

Yep. Absolutely.

I agree this whole scenario stinks, but you are assuming he hit what he aimed it (and that he was taking careful aim).

I did see him another time two weeks later and that was pretty creepy too. I had driven to a town some 10 miles away for a job interview. The interview went as expected and I left the building to walk to my car. As I did, I heard a voice shouting from inside a car parked across the street. It was him, shouting out from the passenger window of a parked car calling out to me!

“Hey… Mundane…! Some coincidence, huh? Give me your cellphone number so I won’t have to chase you down like this!”

He had a really creepy vibe and an odd smile underneath super thick coke-bottle lens glasses. I half waved but kept walking, got in my car. and I got out of there. Guess what… he started to follow me. Again, he hadn’t broken any laws so there wasn’t too much I could do. I saw a traffic light ahead so I slowed down. It turned orange and I let it. When it turned red, I gunned it through the light and drove quickly to a cross street and turned off (he was still stuck at the light). I made a series of lefts and rights and took a different highway home to get out of there.

Again, he hadn’t broken any laws, so a gun wouldn’t have solved anything… and had I done something (anything), I’d have gone to jail. Sure, it’s fun to think about doing something, but really there wasn’t anything a law abiding citizen could do. Creeps like that guy have been creeps all their lives. I’m positive that I wasn’t the first person he had decided to stalk and I’m sure I wasn’t the last. He had the game down and polished. He knew how to game the system and the limits of what he could get away with and still keep out of jail.

YOW! :open_mouth: I hope you never saw him again after that!

This was a premeditated murder. Sometime in the future, it we be revealed that he did not want a baby, probably has a girlfriend and wanted OUT.

Do you, or anyone else, have further updates on this story? Has an ulterior motive been revealed? How is the baby doing? Etc.

I’m afraid that the baby died.

I wonder why the people involved haven’t been named. (Prominent in the community, perhaps?)

Because, right now, this is just a tragic accident and no one is required to, and most people think it’s in bad taste, bring that kind of potentially negative attention to it’s victims.

Hardly an accident. The most charitable interpretation is that it’s an act of negligence. The charitable part is leaving out the word egregious, which is the way I’d describe it.

:roll_eyes:

Stuart has some wealthy neighborhoods on the water. The pic of the home in @DMC’s link is anything but. I see a typical mid-1960s vintage FL tract house with a carport, no garage, and scruffy duplex apartments across the street.

Florida husband fatally shoots pregnant wife thinking she was an intruder, sheriff says

The names of the couple have not been released due to Marsy’s Law, which protects the identities of victims of a crime, a sheriff’s office spokeswoman said.

In general FL is very much an “open records” state. Marsy’s law is a very specific exception.

In fact a lot of why Florida Man (and Woman) seem to get up to so much more hijinks than say, Arkansas (Wo)Man is mostly down to easier online access to these stories due to the open records.

Although having 7x the population of Arkansas is a big help in the dumbass sweepstakes too.

A quick Google says nothing new has been reported since the baby died.

The fact is, if this guy and acted just as irresponsibly but had shot and had killed an actual intruder, he would have been praised over in the “Pro Gun” thread.

And you would be warned for trolling if you pointed that out, because conservative snowflakes :snowflake: need their safe spaces

Absolutely.