This is what "Defending your Home" with guns looks like

Yeah, either he did this on purpose, or he’s a total moron who can’t be trusted with a car, knife, hammer, etc… much less a gun.

I mean, either he started shooting randomly without identifying his target (moronic and probably criminal), or he did this deliberately.

Nobody who’s identifying their target is going to mistake a six months pregnant woman for any sort of intruder.

And if for some weird reason I found a six months pregnant woman in my house uninvited, I don’t think shooting her would be my first reaction. Probably more along the lines of “Why are you here- do you need some kind of help?”

And that’s when she CUTS YOUR THROAT! Trust no one! CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

“How the hell did you get in?”

Moronic? Definitely. Criminal? Depends on what states you are in. I’m not an expert on the law, but from past events in the news, Florida seems like the sort of state where you can shoot first and ask questions never.

Yeah, but he didn’t wake her? You wake up to an intruder and sneak out of the bedroom armed with a gun and don’t nudge your wife to have her call the cops? Bullshit. Even if he thought his wife was still in bed he wouldn’t have left her asleep and unaware. And don’t forget there was a 2 year old child in the house. Why did he think intruder and not toddler? To me it sounds like murder and a not particularly imaginative defense.

Full disclosure; I’m a former four-year-old.

I’m a former four-year-old, and so is my wife!

What I’ve seen recommended is that you don’t go out to confront an intruder. You barricade in your room and call police. The only reason to go out into the house is to move other family members (two year old, in this case) to a place of safety.

Or dog. Then you’d have to reach bump’s conclusion

I mean, a noise in the house when there is a dog and a toddler… come on, zebras vs. horses, man.

So no wonder many of us are saying “uh-huh. Likely story, dude.”

(meanwhile: if you have a home defense gun, if it has mounting attachments on it, spring for and attach a light to it. See who the fuck you’re shooting.)

Even if he had a light mounted on the weapon, he still wouldn’t be able to see anything if he was just awakened. It takes a few moments for your eyes to adjust.

Reason #4,237 why guns for self defense are not actually practical and far more likely to kill you or a family member than a burglar.

I’m not a gun owner, but I agree with you. And the whole “Shoot first. Ask questions later” approach clearly didn’t work for him.

Three to four years ago, I took a course to expand my skillset with tools. There was this creepy-assed guy in the course named “John”. Now “John” said he was from Brooklyn ( not my state ) and he took pains to always try to stand between myself and the instructor when we were doing Lab Work. I thought he was an asshole but for the sake of the course I ignored him.

Two weeks after the course was done I was in my house (more than 10 miles from the college) and I had to take a leak. It was the second floor commode… and looking out the window as one might do while standing and peeing… there was Creepy Fucking John… standing in my backyard and staring up at me! I opened the window, but the screens were the type that only came off from the outside. He heard the commotion, got startled, and ran off.

There have been times when I think back that I wonder what would have happened had I had a gun. If I shot that Peeping Tom, I’d have been arrested and jailed. He wasn’t w/i 10 feet of me and my life was not threatened. As I didn’t shoot him though, he seemed to get the unspoken “go ahead” that he could get away with anything against me. Maybe if I’d had some kind of mace, I could have run downstairs, caught him, and pepper sprayed the living shit out of his eyes. But I didn’t… so I’ll never know.

He might not have been deliberately aiming for the head. He might have been, I don’t know. But the fact that someone was shot in a particular spot doesn’t mean the shooter was aiming for that particular spot.

Huh? Did the guy try to do something to you later?

Actually a great guard dog who didn’t alert when his mum went to the loo. He just failed to realise who was the real threat :frowning:

An experienced Ambien Defense lawyer could obtain a not-guilty verdict no matter what the circumstances.

The comments about aiming fail as usual to take into account that when people are facing what they think is an intruder (particularly someone who’s thought to be armed with bad intent), they’re lucky in the heat of the moment if they can hit that other person with a shot, never mind disable them with a well-placed shot in the arm or leg, Hollywood-style.

Surprising it’s this far into the thread and no one has mentioned Ty Cobb’s mom and dad.

Dog never barked. I’m no Sherlock but…

And a pregnant wife gets up a lot to pee.

I like guns and shooting but …

The more I think about it, the odder it is. If I was confronted with a dark shape in the house and I had a gun, I would aim for center of mass - the person’s torso. Heads are relatively small, and can move.

I also wonder why he didn’t wake up his wife and say something to her before going out. His excuse about feeling the dog and thinking it was his wife sounds odd - either his wife is VERY hairy or the dog was separated from him by a layer of bedclothes, and it must be a very large dog, and why did he not wait for some sort of vocal response?

I would also concur that going out and tackling an intruder is not a brilliant idea. Stay in the bedroom, with your gun pointed at the door if you will, and call the police.

This makes no damn sense. There’s no way a dog would feel anything like a person. Even a large dog is a different shape (and most likely wouldn’t be wearing pajamas). I think he’s a lying liar and he shot her on purpose.