This winter sucks and it won't quit

The two flagpoles out in front of my office just blew over this afternoon (here in northern Baltimore). That’s some pretty damn serious wind.

It is snowing this morning. WTF, why doesn’t the weather man just say, next Tues. no snow. The rest of the time snow.
Today is the big flakes that slowly fall like they were parachuted from the clouds.I used to think it was pretty. Now it seems like they are dropping battery acid from the heavens. Enough already.
One of last weeks snow falls included lightning. What the fuck is that about? It was loud enough and close enough, that my neighbors backyard lights came on and my beagles were barking.

Some odd weather here today.

It rained most of last night, and it’s just started hailing, with little ball-bearing pieces of ice coming down on my balcony.

We have a light snow. That is no biggie anymore but we have lots of lightning. That happened last week during a snow storm. That is not usual. What the hell is that about?

Dunno exactly where you are in the area, gonzo, but it’s been pouring rain not snow here since just before midnight. We got at least three huge cracks of thunder right around then. I’ve rarely seen the radar so patchy, with both snow and rain in the area.

For the second time this winter, tornadoes have hit the St. Louis metro area. Last night’s don’t seem to have been as bad as the New Year’s Eve tornadoes, but dammit, it’s winter.

I’ll take the snow.

Dearborn Heights, Michigan. I don’t remember thunder and lightning during snow. This is the third time it has happened lately . I am talking about lots of lightning lighting up the sky and rolling thunder.

I think I’ve seen a thunder snowstorm once in my life - they’re very unusual (but kind of awesome). Looks like March is coming in like a lion here - snow all week, and temps around -20ºC (-5ºF). Shit. I’m hoping it will go out like a frickin’ lamb.

Stupid Calgary! You’re supposed to send us chinooks, not blizzards! Had to be traveling today and had serious whiteout conditions between Saskatoon and Davidson. Plus -40 with the windchill. But by the time I got to Estevan it was -2 and sunny. Course by tomorrow it’s supposed to be -20 and snowing here as well. :frowning:

So…people my age (early 30s down to early 20s) are horrified by how brutal some of the winters have been this decade. In 2008 we got over 10’ of snow which is not normal; 5’ is the normal amount for this part of the state. But if you listen to Babyboomers, they’re all like “This is like what winters were like when we were kids, when it used to snow so much the windows were covered, haha!”

Really? Winters were really bad up until 40 years ago, then got milder until now? Call me skeptical. Where do I go to find yearly snowfall totals for southern NH and southern MA…that span back to the 1950s?

I dont know how it was here in Connecticut, but growing up in western NY, I can definitely say it was colder and snowier in the 70s and 80s as compared to my winter weekend visits of the 2000s. [I visited my parents one weekend a month for about the last 8 years]

I can remember that it would snow pretty much off and on from November through mid March. Not huge blizzards, but flurries and light snow falls. By mid December we would have a good solid 2 feet on the ground pretty much constantly, and not much melting until late March and through summer. I would say that the late 80s started having milder weather, and the 90s continued the trend.

I am sure someone will come up with some webpage with all sorts of information, but I definitely believe that the weather cycles warmer/cooler with deeper swings to warmer or cooler temps at longer intervals - regular winters vs minor ‘ice age’ winters like we had in the 1300-1700s.

All the snow has melted, and the streets are flooding.

If we get a chinook, we’re bloody well keeping it; -41ºC with the windchill this morning, with streets of skating rink ice from yesterday’s snow. :mad:

Yes, it seems as if it has been colder than usual in the prairies this year. We’re not getting those “close but not quite zero” temps; we’re getting temps well below normal. It can stop any time!

Facebook friends are now debating whether this constitutes March coming in like a lion or like frozen mutton.

Syracuse NY has had over 170 inches of snow this year. (we got mentioned on the Today Show this morning, and Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel was here this weekend. We’re famous, woot. :(). On Saturday, it was 50 degrees, raining a bit. On Monday today, it’s still snowing - schools all closed - heavy wet snow knee high in the driveway. Snow can fall until May up here, and all that piled up snow in the mall parking lot? Still melting in June. But it will be in the 40’s with rain later in the week. This is typical March weather.

It was the 35th Michigan winter that made up my mind to move South; 8 inches of snow April 23rd? After the darkest and most miserable February of my life it was an easy choice.

I can deal with the snow because we haven’t had that much of it. Not like last year.

I’m just sick of the cold and wind and bugs that moved indoors. A centipede just skittered across my kitchen floor. I’m sure said centipede came indoors just to get out of the cold. And the fucking stinkbugs. There are also the $190 gas bills and all that fun stuff.

I want spring so very, very much.

Not since months ago, during ‘snowmagedon’, (3 consecutive snow days, unheard of even here in the snowbelt, 30" of snow each day!), have we seen so much as a hint of grass, lawn, garden or clear sidewalk.

Then on Thursday it started to rain and didn’t stop for 36hrs. We’ve already experienced a few over 0 days, but with 5’ snow piles, literally everywhere, those days produced very little melt back. But after the rain, and just around the edges, you could actually see a little lawn or garden emerging. Hereabouts it was enough, meager though it was, to raise everyone’s spirits. Spring was surely on it’s way, now.

One day later we woke to 7" covering everything anew, how depressing. But the sun was shining and it wasn’t terribly cold, so many still clung to hope.

This morning it is -12. I’m off to light the wood stove, since spring is never coming, clearly.

It has been so cold here (southern New Hampshire) for months now.

I went out yesterday and actually felt hot with my coat on: it was 40F.

Now I wake up today sick and stuffed up with a bad headache.

Yeah, I want spring, bad.