Three pounds of button mushrooms

They were only $5, how could I resist?

What should I do with them? Anyone got a good mushroom soup recipe?

I use Cook’s Illustrated Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe. It’s pretty dang good.

If you’re uninspired for anything else, just slice and sautee with some onions. Freeze in 1 cup measures and you’re a (time consuming) step ahead in dozens of recipes! Fresh mushrooms don’t freeze well, but sauteed ones are wonderful.

That does look good.

Hmmm, this is an excellent idea also.

From a vegetarian cookbook I had decades ago, was if the Vegetarian Epicure?..mushrooms, sliced green peppers, sliced onions, cooked in large amount of butter, equal amount of red wine, and brown sugar. Simmer slowly for a couple hours, until everything is dark and delicious. I haven’t made this in years, but I recall it being delicious. These days, I’d leave out the sugar…

Stroganoff!!! (which I am making Monday)

You can always saute them, divide them up, and freeze them. You’ll have 'shrooms to add to to whatever you’re cooking up for quite some time. I usually do that on a smaller scale, just because I like them chunky and generally have to cook them before the other vegetables anyway.

I think they’d work in this, which is really tasty.

http://www.youlinchng.com/soup-recipes/japanese-soup-recipe-nameko-tofu-soup

Ooh, yum.

Risotto is another idea.

A year and a half ago part of a large oak tree fell in woods near me. I inoculated this with shitake spawn, which has yielded excellent results. From this I’ve discovered the value of drying mushrooms.

A food dryer is best for significant quantities, but you can do a decent job in an oven. Slice the mushrooms, place them on cookie sheets, and dry them thoroughly at low heat. Once dry they will keep forever (I put then in plastic bags in the freezer, but room temperature is okay). They are useful in most recipes.

When I bought a huge basket of mushrooms this summer, I made marinated mushrooms. Don’t have the recipe here, but there are dozens online. Red wine vinegar, sugar, water, bay leaf were some of the ingredients. They were just delicious and disappeared in days!

Risotto is too much work for button mushrooms. (You want more mushroomy mushrooms for risotto. The one I’m making tonight has shittake, oyster, and portobellio.)

Button mushrooms? Saute a bunch with garlic and onion, add chicken stock and heavy cream, season with salt and pepper, puree. Proportions barely matter; it’s always going to be delicious.

They go really good with badgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadger …

But seriously, I’d make the biggest pot of spaghetti sauce and let them simmer to delicious mushroom-ness.

Gobs of butter and a fork.
~VOW

Will this work in a gas oven? Apparently gas renders a good amount of moisture.

I’ve only every dried them in an electric oven. But I have to believe at some temperature setting a gas oven would do the job.

When the temp is a bit hot, the mushrooms acquire a desirable tinge of extra flavor.