Three US Troops killed and 25 injured in attack in Jordan

Here’s a link. This is breaking news.

Things are going from bad to worse over there.

I imagine it was just a matter of time. Destroying rockets and launcher protects sailors; I can’t see letting them continue shooting a ships that haven’t harmed anyone.

Yes. I expect some form of response. Just one more dreadful situation of violence going on in the world. I grow weary of it all.

Is anyone discussing the retaliatory strikes by the US tonight? I can’t find a thread or a place to discuss it.

CENTCOM Statement on U.S. Strikes in Iraq and Syria

At 4:00 p.m. (EST) Feb. 02, U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) forces conducted airstrikes in Iraq and Syria against Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Quds Force and affiliated militia groups. U.S. military forces struck more than 85 targets, with numerous aircraft to include long-range bombers flown from United States. The airstrikes employed more than 125 precision munitions. The facilities that were struck included command and control operations centers, intelligence centers, rockets, and missiles, and unmanned aerial vehicle storages, and logistics and munition supply chain facilities of militia groups and their IRGC sponsors who facilitated attacks against U.S. and Coalition forces.

Interesting how the US blames Iran but none of the targets are in Iran. I’m not saying it is wrong, but it is noteable.

Here’s some video of a strike.

What long range bombers can fly from the U.S. to Syria/Iraq?

I’ve got the sound off, but CNN is displaying graphics of the Good Old B1.

Red-line avoidance.

Hits inside Iran would make Iranian leaders unable to refrain from declaring war on the USA. Most accounts suggest that they would prefer not to do that.

B-1, B-52, B-2. With aerial refueling, what couldn’t?

U.S. Central Command said the strikes used more than 125 precision munitions, and they were delivered by numerous aircraft, including long-range B-1 bombers flown from the United States. Sims said weather was a factor as the U.S. planned the strikes in order to allow the U.S. to confirm it was hitting the right targets and avoiding civilian casualties.

With air refueling, the limit to mission range is crew endurance.

I wonder, can you take a b-2 in a B-1?

I’m out of the loop, but is there a reason they couldn’t have flown bombers out of Diego Garcia to do this? I thought that was the main point of stationing them there - for the Middle East theater. Seems it would be cheaper and shorter than to have flown bombers all the way from America.

There’s a lot of maintenance crew personnel; way more than pilots. Cheaper to have them in the US. Repair parts, specialized maintenance tools, testing equipment are at the home bases. Being deployed to an austere location for a month or two is fine; months/a year or more away from family sucks and is a big morale turn off.

The US has gotten away from forward deployed bombers/crews/maintainers. They are building up old locations/runways in the Pacific to allow rapid stationing if the situation warrants it.

Well, there is the subtle hint to the powers that be in Iran that, “Hey, we can Fuck Your Shit Up from Texas if we want. Might wanna rein in your proxies”.

But I imagine they are well aware of that already.

B-2 + B-1 = B-21. Easy!

Looks like Round 2 has begun. Hitting Yemen now.

I think that is exactly what it is. The US is saying “out of all the options we have, we chose to send an aircraft halfway around the entire planet just to ruin your day.”

Going back to the original attack, the three soldiers killed were Army Reservists. Most of those injured were Army National Guard. The base is a logistical support base for the region. My old unit and the units of some of my friends are heading into the region to take over that mission in several locations. I’m not sharing anything that the state PAO hasn’t released publicly.