TIES!

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO GET THAT PERFECT DENT UNDER THE KNOT WHEN TIEING A TIE.IT SEEMS THAT EVERBODY KNOWS BUT MYSELF. I SEE ALOT OF BIGWIGS WEARING IT THAT WAY. I WANT TO HAVE THE SAME LOOK. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME OUT?

I was always taught that, if you saw a tie with a dent under the knot, it was a sure sign the person was wearing a clip-on. Real tie knots don’t have dents.

And there’s no need to shout…

Seal, check out this site:
http://www2.ppp.nl/ppp/Docs/knots.htm
Shows you how to tie 4 different types of tie knots.

Use your index finger to make a depression before pulling close and tightening the knot. Also, the width and weight of the tie (thats the tie material (silk for SD readers, polyester for the rest) and backing help determine whether or knot (sorry!) you get that dimple. The number of traces on the ties backing are an indication, I believe of the weight - the more, the heavier. (about this I am not 100% sure).

Seal, whichever knot you tie, in the final step where you’re pulling the wide end of the tie through the knot, grab the tie right beneath the knot using the thumb and middle finger of the hand that’s not doing the pulling. The tie should be lightly pinched between your thumb and middle finger at this location. Slide the forefinger of this hand along the middle of the tie up underneath the knot and continue to pull with your other hand until the knot is tight. More than likely, you’ll still have to manipulate the knot a little to get it to look the way you want. Just takes practice.

Guy, a clip-on??? Puh-SHAW!!

Howdy, Strainger!

Don’t you know that clip-on ties are macho? Lots of cops wear them while on duty. :slight_smile:

Bob the Random Expert
“If we don’t have the answer, we’ll make one up.”