Tin Man- SciFi Network 2 years ago

I searched for a Thread about the SciFi Network miniseries Tin Man, wondering what Dopers thought of it. I suspect there was a Thread and that the Search function is just being stubborn- nevertheless, the search came up dry.

I didn’t see it, and all I remember hearing about it was from its own advertising- which, of course, said it was awesome.

I saw it at my local Walmart for something like 12 or 13 bucks. Now, I never saw it- but I just can’t help but be attracted to that kind of quantity of entertainment for the cheapy cheap. Ultimately I decided against throwing down hard earned cash for something I knew next to nothing about. Thought I’d see how enthusiastically Dopers might recommend for or against it.

My roommate’s kids love Zooey Deschanel- I’m quite fond of her myself. We also really like Alan Cumming (we went together to see him play Mack the Knife on Broadway). We’re not really Fantasy genre nerds, but we do enjoy the good ones.

I am generally fond of the miniseries as a format.

Anybody see it and love it?
Anybody see it and hate it?

I saw it and hated it. I have mercifully deleted the experience from my memory, so I can’t be more specific.

I saw it and it was rendered watchable only by deleting any memory of the Wizard of Oz from my mind and treating it as generic alternate universe SF.

That being said, it was adequate as mindless entertainment.

It’s worth $1.99, tops.

It was a pretty good reimagining of The Wizard of Oz (the book more than the movie, which is smart dramatically, but pisses off those who only know about the movie). It wasn’t exactly Oz, though – it used analogs to the characters of the book for a different story. And the Oz element, though interesting, isn’t that important. What’s especially good is the ending, which doesn’t do what you’d expect.

And it had Zooey Deschanel in her biggest role. For that reason alone, it’s worth $12.99.

Here ya go.

As SciFi originals go, this one is quite good. Right up there with their Tremors series.

My TIVO picked it up a week or so ago, it must have replayed late at night. It was OK, but IMHO not worth paying for.

Interesting concept but very poor execution. The characters repeatedly did stupid things because the writers couldn’t think of a plausible reason for what they were doing. Like those slasher movies were somebody gets murdered and instead of doing the obvious thing like leaving the place where there’s a murderer loose and calling the police in, everyone implausibly decides to stay and then split up into little groups and go look for the killer. Sure, it keeps the movie going by railroading the characters into the story but it’s at the cost of having the audience lose any respect for the characters or story.

I was going to tell you to do a search on “flying cleavage monkeys”, but Lute Skywatcher beat me to the punch. :slight_smile:

I enjoyed it. I am not a big fan of the books, or the Judy Garland movie, so the “re-imagining” didn’t bother me.

This. Except for the first part.

I only saw the first episode. I had to turn it off after hearing “The O.Z.” for the hundredth time.

It starts off slow and boring. And then it gets worse.

I like Zooey Deschanel and Alan Cumming, and I like to watch SciFi originals. I have no strong attachment to the Judy Garland Wizard of Oz, though I do like it.

Tin Man was just awful. It’s boring, has awful dialogue, and in general is just stupid. Don’t spend money on it. Even if you could get it for free, it’s not worth the time it takes to watch it.

Hey, I knew this sounded familiar. I killed that thread. :slight_smile:

Dude, you are overbidding. And to the OP: don’t worry, it will appear on SciFi again at some point. Or on SyFy.

Can anyone recommend anything in which Zoey does not suck?

Please stop what you’re doing, don’t even pull up your pants, and go watch All the Real Girls. This paper’s Jonathan Rosenbaum said:

Also, to the extent that Surf’s Up didn’t make me want to commit suicide by sheer force of will, it was Zooey’s voice characterization of the tough-chick lifeguard penguin.

I generally liked it, but didn’t love it. I liked the set up more than the conclusion. I love Zooey but she was a little bland here. I probably liked the ambiance / conversion the most. I was a little confused by the “there was an original Dorothy” thing.

I’ve heard rumors it might still be turned into a series.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy movie was not as good as it should have been, but I liked her as Trillian.

Eulogy

I count that as 4 for, 1 meh, and 9 against.

O.K., not a strong consensus but definitely leaning against.

Don’t have cable so SciFi channel repeats won’t help. I know Dopers are generally Netflix fans, but I had to discontinue Netflix because of paying monthly to have the same unwatched movies sit on my coffee table for weeks on end. It’s a multi disc scenario- so renting it would cost nearly as much as buying it.

The quantity for the price still digs at me a little- can’t help it, it’s how my brain works.

Well, I’m certainly not going to make a specific point of picking it up. It’s possible that someday, standing in front of it, I’ll follow a whim that puts it in my cart- but that’s a whim that may never happen.

Thanks for the info!