Tiny Dancer- Urgh!?

You don’t know how long Blinded by the Light stuck in my head when pointed to the alternative lyrics to:

(“Gave his WHAT Twirly Whirly? And what’s Twirly Whirly in that context, anyway?”)

A helicopter, isn’t it?

I still get funny looks from people for (among other things) randomly saying “Hold me closer, tiny dancer” with a thick Russian accent.

I don’t have one song, but it seems that Tom Petty is stalking me. At least twice a day I’ll hear a Petty song. Seems to me I’ve gone years without encountering Tom, but the past 3 months have certainly made up for it.

Mmmm… Bailey.

This thread confused me. I’ve no idea what song you’re all talking about (and from the sound of it I’m not missing much) but there’s a band making inroads in the twee-pop-alternative market called the Tiny Dancers (annoyingly catchy guitar indie stuff) that I assumed this was about.

How old are you trying to make me feel? :frowning:

(I remember when Rolling Stone reviewed the first album by some nobody singer/songwriter named Elton John and called him a promising talent in the folk world.)

Seriously, if you’re not familiar with a song as famous as “Tiny Dancer” then you’re probably missing huge important chunks of rock history that you might want to catch up on.

Hmm, I know (more or less) the Elton John hits, but that one is completely unknown to me (just listening to it now).

(and ha, I don’t think being 32 makes me a spring chicken!)

Oh forget the fogeys. It’s a decent song, just WAY overplayed. More importantly, it sounds like you’ve never seen the movie Almost Famous. You have to rectify that asap! Forget the Tiny Dancer scene (though it’s a good scene), the rest of the movie is really wonderful too.

How long have you lived in this alternate universe? :slight_smile:

I was stalked all last week by a Hawaiian remake of Air Supply’s “All Out of Love.” I just looked it up and it was recorded by a group called First Verse.

It was a good remake, actually, with more bounce than the original, but it played every time I stepped into my sister’s car, as apparently the local Kauai station could just NOT get enough of it. And she’d call my attention to it every time: “Oooh, Cathy, they’re playing your song.” Gee, thanks. I was trying to ignore it.

Tiny Dancer’s great though.

Um, ok.

But you’d have to be pre-cut out of the will.

Might be better if I was avuncular instead.

<<shudder>>