I think it’s amusing and slightly confusing that the phrase “I fuck with ____”, has come to mean the opposite of what it used to mean.
Ah, a thread about my favorite word.
I’m honestly not sure what you mean here though.
Like, to fuck with someone, to mess with them?
This had an opposite meaning at some point?
It is not always opposite: a mechanic might say, somewhat self-deprecatingly, “I fuck with engines”.
To “fuck with” someone or something in modern parlance means to like someone or something. “I don’t fuck with ___” means you stay completely away from them, so to fuck with them means you like them.
And that is kinda an opposite to the meaning you guys all seem to be familiar with.
A poster after my own heart.
Not anymore, it seems.
Yes. “I fuck with Dems”, for example, now means I vibe/agree/support Dems.
That’s a new one on me.
This is why I love the word fuck. It means so many things depending on context. And it’s irreverent and passionate. Now we get to add yet another meaning.
I’ve no doubt he’d have been pleased with the new adaptation.
It sort of makes sense. “Fuck with” in the original sense seemed broadly to mean, “engage with.” Sure, usually in a negative way, to aggravate someone. But it could also be used to mean “fuck around with” in the sense of casual romantic contact.
But also you could say, “I won’t fuck with that” to mean you don’t want to engage.
So this seems like a pretty natural evolution of the expression. “I fuck with Dems” = I engage very heavily with Dems.
I have never heard anyone use it that way. Maybe if you drop the “with”?
That takes on an entirely different meaning and just makes you sound promiscuous.
“I Fuck Dems”… What, like all of them?
You can thank AAVE - specifically, hip hop slang - for that usage. Being embedded in that culture my entire life, I find it odd when people don’t understand or aren’t aware of the usage!
See, while I hear the “I don’t fuck with” phrase in the way you describe, I don’t ever hear the inverse.
So, “I don’t fuck with oysters ever since I got food poisoning” sounds normal.
“I fuck with oysters” sounds wrong.
There are no conceivable circumstances under which I’m going to throw in a ‘clam’ comment here.
Nope. Sorry.
As I’ve always understood the various usages of the word:
To fuck somebody: generally, to have sexual intercourse with somebody. There are exceptions, such as ‘they really fucked me on that deal’.
To fuck with somebody: to mess around in their life, either in a teasing, pranking or badgering way, or possibly with a more malevolent meaning, but generally non-violent.
To fuck around with somebody: could mean the same as ‘to fuck with’, or it could mean casual, no strings attached sex.
To fuck somebody up: to cause serious violence or harm to them.
I think you just said, ‘Wypipo…(sigh)’
![]()
The oyster’s a confusing suitor;
It’s masc., and fem., and even neuter.
— Ogden Nash
I like bacon and pork chops but I feel if I told people I fuck with pigs, I’d be misunderstood.
I have never heard anyone use it that way. Maybe if you drop the “with”?
It’s very heavily used among the younger crowd (very popular with my college/young adult kids and their friends).
Oh. Whippersnapper talk.