To people with free USB flash memory things

Apparently, like here, there are some people who somehow get free little jumpdrives that have pretty advertisements on them. My question is this: Do any Dopers work anywhere that gives these out? If I were willing to endure the constant barrage of advertising that I would see printed on them, could I perhaps persuade you to send one or many to a poor college student? If necessary, would paying for shipping help? If anyone here feels up to it, email me at jgabbard at gmail.com. You guys are great! Remember that.

I would love a free portable harddrive as well, but I am not holding my breath.

Well, if you happen to be in the neighborhood, you could probably go to the CeBIT in Hannover (Germany) this weekend and pick up a lot of swag. I know that’s what I’ll be doing on Saturday. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info, but I can’t spare the time this weekend.

Does CeBIT generally have good swag? Just wondering as I’ve noticed a severe drop in the quantity and quality of goodies at US trade shows aimed at specific “high-end” audiences (Namely Oracle OpenWorld and the RSA Security Conference - perhaps I should try to sneak into Apple’s WWDC?)

I came this close to shelling out a hundred bucks last weekend for a 1.0Gb thumb, but suddenly came to my senses.

Check your email, chaoticdonkey.

I don’t know how much you can afford, but OfficeMax has a 64 MB USB flash drive for $9.00. If you’re just using the drive for Word documents, 64 MB will do just fine.

It’s possible OfficeMax might be out of stock for your area–you have to enter your ZIP code to find out. If they are, mwave.com has the same drive for $10.50.

Good thing you didn’t - someone had one on sale for $60 last week. That’s pretty good for 1 gig. I think it was a SanDisk.

Yup, it’s Best Buy (at least in my zip code). $60 after rebate. And the 256mb is $25.

Ooh. I might have to do something like that if no one steps up to the free plate. :slight_smile: