To the coozewad at the hospital

I hope whatever you buy with the money that you get for pawning my dying father’s wedding ring, that he’s worn every day for the last 48 years, that you stole from his room where he lay suffering from side effects of the chemotherapy for his terminal pancreatic cancer, brings you great joy. And I hope it’s the last moment of joy you have in your sickening existence and that it is followed by decades of suffering and misery. I hope you die penniless and alone and in the greatest possible pain and that it takes you years of unrelievable agony before you finally die in the dirt, and I hope that somehow I can be there so I can piss in your mouth as you draw your last breath.

Oh, man, I hope this wasn’t at Meriter, where I work. I am so sorry this happened. I kind of understand the feeling – the cops who found my dad’s body after a heart attack robbed his corpse.

I very much understand the feeling; someone at the nursing home my mother was in for the last few months of her life stole the half roll of quarters I had given her to let her buy sodas.

I hope all the slime who steal from the ill and the dying get terminal scabies and end their lives itching and screaming as they rip the skin off their worthless bodies.

Well, if there is any karma in this universe, whatever he does spend the money on will hopefully lead, either directly or indirectly, to his death.

I also feel very bad for what happened. When my grandmother was in the nursing home, they were rather nice to her. She had a regular nurse, who I knew outside of the situation, and she got a new job. After she left, there were several nurses who came and went but no specific nurse. When my grandmother passed away, they called and told us. My father went out and they talked to the nursing home, as well as the funeral home. About a week later, they called us and said we needed to come pick up her stuff, and my father went out. The home allowed them to bring in their own televisions, and my grandmother had taken a 20" television out there. The worker told my dad they had never seen her have a television, and since there was none in the room, they didn’t know that she had one. He told them it had been in the room, but got fed up and left with her other stuff and wrote it off. Four years later, I’m away at college, and my sister calls to tell me she got a job at the nursing home in town as a nurse (she just finished college and was excited) but she went in the first day and thought they had the same kind of television in the break room area. Then she got curious and looked, it had a nice little carving in the back I had done as a kid - my last name. She quit a week later, being hired at a nursing care facility a little further away. She said she couldn’t handle it since they stole it and didn’t even care that she was a relative, just left it out for everyone to see.

Somethings make me feel bad, but stories about nurses/aides/doctors/and such that steal really break my heart.

Brendon

Sorry about your dad, Otto.

I’m sorry this happened to your dad.

Karma for the thief would be nice, but I hope you don’t leave it at that. Complain to the administration, write letters to the editor, whatever, but do something.

I thought the wedding bands men wore were just a bit of flattened gold wire, and hence not worth very much??
Regardless, stealing from the helpless like that is revolting. Is it possible they removed the ring to treat him?

Some are rather ornate, and heavy. Others might have gemstones inset, depending on the tastes of the couple, and their finances. In any case, that was a momento, a treasured heirloom, and I hope the person who stole it chokes on the ill gotten wares acquired from its theft.

The ring was removed in the course of treatment but the person who removed it didn’t take the proper steps to secure it. My father, being disoriented and in the process of repeat projectile vomiting, was in no shape to keep track of his ring and I don’t know if my mother was in the room or not (I think they usually move non-essential people out of the room). I live the next state over.

I have no idea how much the ring is worth monetarily. It’s a plain gold band, more substantial than “a bit of flattened wire” and it’s good quality gold so I’m sure whoever stole it will get a few dollars for it on the weight of it. The monetary value is of course the farthest possible thing from the point.

Contact Hospital Administration.

They don’y like this shit, & a hardnose might just rattle some cages until he finds the ring.

I’m sorry to hear about your Dad, and about the ring.

The monetary cost of an item does not necessarily reflect the value of it. My wedding band is about the cheapest piece of noncostume jewelry that I own, yet my husband and I value it the most highly.

Otto, I’m sorry that this happened.

Screw the administration. Contact the most moving human-interest reporter at your area’s largest newspaper. A few dozen angry calls and letters following a poignant article ought to get the administration’s attention better than you alone can.

Sailboat

I suspect what Lizard was questioning is why someone would bother, as they wouldn’t get much money at all from a pawn shop for it.

I’m sorry, Otto. There are too many assholes in this world, and it’s awful that you encountered that one.

From the description of circumstances, this might not be a theft. It is possible the ring was bagged or tossed to a side table and mixed with other stuff, and was disposed of as waste along with various packaging /bandages/ etc. that were consmed during the process.

Just saying…

Christ, the stories in this thread are shocking and disgusting. On the other hand, don’t assume in a nursing home that the staff stole your loved one’s stuff - a lot of elderly people with dementia steal, it seems. My late grandmother’s roomate would take people’s dentures, plants, jewelry - any little thing.

When my first husband died, I wanted him to be buried with his wedding band, as he never took it off the whole time we were married. I had insisted on this point at the funeral home. Just before leaving the funeral home for the church service, the coffin was opened one last time: his ring wasn’t on his finger and he wasn’t wearing shoesl. I had already been given his effects, so…

My best friend’s husband insisted to see the whole body in the casket, and created such a stink that someone “found” the ring… and the brand-new shoes we’d been told to provide, supposedly out of respect for the dead.

I thought it was standard practice for the funeral home to provide the corpse with shoes – cheap, flimsy things, made for show, not walking.

I don’t know about any such practise here. He was in socks in his casket.

BTW, sorry for the slight hijack, I’m really saddened about what happened to your Dad’s ring, Otto. That really sucks beyond words.

My condolences to you and your loved ones.