Today in History

Crazy!

Thanks!

November 4, 1960: At the Kasakela Chimpanzee Community in Tanzania, Dr Jane Goodall observes chimpanzees creating tools, the first-ever observation in non-human animals.

November 5, 1872: In defiance of the law, suffragist Susan B. Anthony votes for the first time, and is later fined $100.

November 6, 1995: Art Modell announces that he signed a deal that would relocate the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore to become the Baltimore Ravens. Modell is hanged and burned in effigy in Cleveland. A plaque honoring him at the Cleveland Clinic is pelted with raw eggs. Et cetera.

No…truly, thank you for doing this. Even if you did step on my Oct 31 entry… :yum:

To be fair, I did do the 500th anniversary of the Reformation back in 2017, so I got that going for me.

November 7, 1967: Carl B. Stokes is elected as Mayor of Cleveland, Ohio, becoming the first elected African American mayor of a major American city.

November 7, 1913: The infamous “White Hurricane” hits the Great Lakes region. By the time this storm is over nearly 300 are dead, making the blizzard one of that area’s deadliest natural disasters.

Saturday, November 7th, 2020. Perhaps the greatest day in Twitter history begins with this Presidential tweet:

Imgur

November 8, 1973: The right ear of John Paul Getty III is delivered to a newspaper together with a ransom note, convincing his father to pay US$2.9 million.

November 9, 1965: Several U.S. states and parts of Canada are hit by a series of blackouts lasting up to 13 hours in the Great Northeast Blackout of 1965.

November 10, 1871: Henry Morton Stanley locates missing explorer and missionary, Dr David Livingstone in Ujiji, near Lake Tanganyika, famously greeting him with the words, “Dr. Livingstone, I presume?”.

Also on 10 November (1975): After leaving the ore docks at Allouez Bay, WI (just south of Superior, WI) with a load of taconite iron ore pellets the day before, the Edmund Fitzgerald, the largest ship operating on the Great Lakes, is caught in a winter storm on the eastern portion of Lake Superior and sinks suddenly with the loss of its 29-man crew. A trailing ship, the Arthur M. Anderson, had received radio reports from the Fitzgerald of difficulties including a heavy list, the loss of both of its radars, and taking heavy seas over the deck before radar and radio contact was lost.

The wreck of the Fitzgerald was subsequently found four days later in about 530 feet of water. Further research by the US Navy using an unmanned submersible confirmed the ship had broken into two almost equal-sized pieces; the bow section was upright and located about 170 feet from the stern section, which had come to rest in a capsized position on the lake bottom.

-“BB”-

November 10, 1898: The only coup d’etat In U.S. History unfolded In 1898 when armed white supremacists overthrew the elected local government in Wilmington, N.C., killing unknown numbers of the economically-thriving Black community, running hundreds out of town and usurping their property.

November 11, 1911: Many cities in the Midwestern U.S. break their record highs and lows on the same day, as a strong cold front rolls through.

November 11, 1918: Armistice Day, now called Veterans Day in the U.S.A., marks the date when an armistice was signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany at Compiègne, France at 5:45 a.m. for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War I , which took effect at eleven in the morning—the “eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month” of 1918. But, according to Thomas R. Gowenlock, an intelligence officer with the U.S. First Division, shelling from both sides continued for the rest of the day, ending only at nightfall.

November 11, 1831:Nat Turner is hanged in Jerusalem, Virginia.

An addendum to Ignatz’s post from earlier today …

November 11, 1921: Three years after the signing of the Armistice to end hostilities of World War 1, an unidentified American serviceman who died in combat in France was brought back to the states, given a funeral, and interred in Arlington National Cemetery, thereby establishing the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

However, since Arlington had been originally created as a cemetery for Civil War dead, there are slightly more than 2100 unidentified soldiers (both US and Confederate) from that conflict interred beneath a separate memorial, The Tomb of the Civil War Unknowns.

-“BB”-

November 12, 1970: The Oregon Highway Division attempts to destroy a rotting beached sperm whale with explosives, leading to the now infamous “exploding whale” incident.

November 13, 1940: Walt Disney’s animated musical film Fantasia is first released.

November 13, 1982: The Vietnam Veterans Memorial was dedicated on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., honoring service members of the U.S. armed forces who fought in the Vietnam War. The wall originally listed 57,939 names when it was dedicated in 1982; however other names have since been added and as of May 2018 there were 58,320 names, including eight women.

Same month/date, 1991, Beauty and the Beast.