Today in nature I saw

One good insect-on-a-flower photo deserves another.

I really wish I knew more about butterflies, but they are annoying little …insects…to identify, because they just won’t keep still. But today, these handsome chaps obliged, and we were able to photograph them for ID purposes.

Google Photos

Google Photos

Another problem with ID-ing them is that, well, it’s a fritillary, but which one? The differences are, to my eye, minuscule, especially if they won’t just rest up and be identified. (I’m not saying they deserve to be netted and nailed to a board, but guys, don’t push your luck, OK?).

Thankfully, with the benefit of photos, we’re reasonably sure these are silver-washed fritillaries. But if anyone knows better, feel free to put me right.

These were at Wakehurst, down by their wetland area. Now, another of their (Wakehurst’s) managed habitats is, they claim, “North American Prairie”. It all sounds slightly improbable. Here it is (with paths cut into it):

Google Photos

Click on it for a larger image. US and Canadian friends, does this look at all like a reasonable facsimile of the real thing?

j