Tom Brady next season

So a guy (checks wiki) getting to 3 Super Bowls in a row as he turns 40 is, has been done before?:confused:

What question did you ask? It sure wasn’t “has any 40 year old made 3 super bowls in a row?”

Has anyone his age had such a run of success? Is he really a huge outlier
Lance Armstrong taught us, that if it sounds too good, it certainly is.

Drew Brees is there with him, though he’s a couple years younger. But his age 40 stats look better than Brady’s. If anything he’s more of an outlier than Brady

Not as many Super Bowls but that’s not exactly a fair measure for a QB. It’s still a team game and coaching still matters a lot, even if the QB is the most important individual player on the field - otherwise, wither Aaron Rodgers of the 1 Super Bowl appearance (victory though it was) or Dan Marino of the 0 Super Bowl wins in his only appearance?

Manning and Favre were clearly physically done by 41 but Brees and Brady both appear to be playing at a high level past age 40.

And CTE isn’t something football players/boxers just suddenly get either. It’s one of those diseases caused by sub-concussive(and concussive) hits over time. He’s not “one hit away”- he’s either well on the way there, or he’s not.

That said, quarterbacks are typically not overly prone to having it happen to them, seeing as they may only have a small handful of head impacts per game or practice, unlike most other positions, where there are dozens per game or practice at a minimum.

Personally, I think he’ll be back for at least one more season, and probably play out his contract through 2021. He’s still one of the top five quarterbacks in the league, if not in the top 2-3. The Patriots had a bad playoff game- they still went 12-4 on the season and clinched their division. Brady has every chance of being at the helm for another Super Bowl sometime in the next couple seasons.

He doesn’t have a contract through 2021. His contract with the Patriots automatically voids in March and he becomes a free agent. AIUI, neither side can agree to extend the existing contract - they’d have to write a whole new one to stop him becoming a free agent.

I read it as “play out a contract through 2021”, as in signing a new 2 year contract with New England, though maybe I’m making too generous of an assumption.

This is what I was talking about:

It says he’s under contract through 2021.

My prediction is he comes back as a Patriot next year but that his decline continues. He’ll be good enough to lead the team to a winning record, but the Bills will win the division. The Patriots will make the playoffs as a wildcard and lose in the first round again, and that will be the end of his career.

It automatically voids at the end of the season:

Basically it’s all a loophole to massage the salary cap. So if he wanted to stay with the Patriots he would need to sign a new contract.

Being “old” outside of professional sports and being “old” within them are two different things. Unless you’re a professional athlete and you’re not telling us?

I’m a professional but my profession is one that likely has one of the lowest percentage of athletes. :slight_smile:

(Though I was somewhat athletic in high school.)

The Patriots will get Brady, Belichick, and probably a few more WRs. Hopefully they keep investing in Harry.

He said on instagram he is not retiring

Brady announced today that he won’t sign with the Patriots, and will be entering free agency.

It’s better this way. Pull the band aid off quickly.

He said he doesn’t know what his “football future holds”, but I can’t imagine he posted that if he doesn’t have one or two solid offers that he’d be happy with. I’m guessing someone will announce his signing tomorrow.

Bet the Pats wish they had held on to Jimmy G.

ESPN is reporting Tampa Bay.

Why?

They’re willing to pay him $30 million a year.