Too mini for the BBQ Pit...a rant

One that probably should have been inspected more closely. However, I’m pretty sure you can’t tell the age of a wooden horse – nor the number of armed soldiers it contains – by looking at its teeth.

So yeah - another mini rant.

People who adamantly maintain a position which is clearly false.

Thanks for the clarification on the saying. I ALWAYS understood it to mean what I wrote in the OP. I see quite clearly I was wrong for years.

Ignorance fought :slight_smile:

It’s like the old saying goes: “Beware of gifts bearing Greeks.”

To examine a gift as if you were considering purchasing it and seeking to measure the quality and determine the value of the gift.

As in buying vehicles today, those who are seeking to sell such things typically exaggerate the value and deliberately withhold negative information about the condition of the vehicle/animal. Thus it is necessary to closely examine the car/horse/cart to ensure that it is worth what you are going to pay for it. At the same time, you must conceal your enthusiasm to avoid being ripped off, and often must act as you are nearly insulted by what is being offered for the price.

In other words, don’t insult the giver by scrutinizing a gift in the same way as you may have to act in the presence of a salesman.

Thanks for the link, I’ve now got it bookmarked. Still hilarious.

Remembered the minirant too late for the edit.

It’s hot here. Humid, sticky, record-breakingly hot. Too hot to eat anything but ice cream*, and that soon turns into ice cream soup.

*It’s amazing how fast one gets tired of ice cream.

What if you find cream cheese in the horse’s mouth?

You should assume there’s a bagel somewhere further inside.

Although we are less than three weeks away from the summer solstice, it feels more like February than June here. We’ve had a record-smashing inch or two of rain in the bay area this weekend, and it has totally put the kibosh on any outdoor activities. And we had just stocked up on charcoal, burger buns and other grilling supplies. Had to spend this weekend sitting around and watching old Poirot reruns and doing housework. Boo!

And it’s starting to rain again even as I type.

WHAT. THIS IS SO WRONG. What the hell is a think? You cannot have a think, either coming or going, because a think is not a noun. It is not something you can have, it is a verb! But you can have a thing. So there!

Swapsies? It’s three weeks from winter solstice and all the spring bulbs are looking like they’ll turn from bud to flower on the next sunny day.

Except that there will be the first full frost of the season instead and there will be no flowers left at all.

And the lawn has kept growing (and growing and growing) when the mower is in it’s winter hibernation and refusing to start.

With such a warm winter, everyone is predicting a nasty wet spring.

It’s a mizzling, drizzling day, to hot to enjoy being inside, too wet and grey to go out.

And it’s the last long weekend till September.

Boo.

Jesus, we just had several days of mid-90s weather here in PA, and that was in May! I’m already counting the days until winter comes back.

Well yeah…it was hot for a while. But it was followed by some intensely beautiful days too! Like on saturday…something like 75 and light cloud cover all day. Made my canoing trip quite pleasant.

Well, 1,970,000 people agree with you, vs. 93,900 who disagree. Whoever wants to keep the original,the battle is lost.

In the past, there were usually TWO gift horses, always of unequal size. If the gift recipient felt the gifts were not suitable, the appropriate way to signal this was to mount the taller of the two horses.

This is the origin of the phrase “to get on your high horse.”

Did George Washingtons trojan horse have wooden teeth?

When my daughter was that age she loved some boy star named Aaron Carter. Except she insisted his name was Aaron Cartner. I think he had a teen-idol brother too. Anyway she was just as belligerent about “Cartner.”:rolleyes:

My mini rant: I need to get my hair cut and have no time this week to do it.

On a similar note, it appears that actors John Cho and Jay Chou are not actually the same person, but they certainly could have fooled me. Although in my defence, IMDb also seems to have been a little confused about this. http://www.angiehan.com/2011/01/15/john-cho-and-jay-chou-are-not-actually-the-same-person/

The kid spent years reading Scooby Doo comics. Her favourite character was Daff-een. It wasn’t until the movie came out that she accepted “Daphne”, and even then only as an alternate pronunciation.