Torino?

Why are the American media calling this the "Torino 2006"Olympics? Is it customary for us to refer the cities where the Olympics are being held in its own national language since they’re an international event? I seem to remember that not being the case in previous years. Is “Turin” now “Torino” in English, now?

Here’s a whole article on it. As it says, not all the media is using Torino. But NBC is, and they are influential – they’re using it mainly because it sounds more Italian and sexy.

I think some coworkers of mine are still driving around Italy looking for Florence.

Are they driving in a Firenza? :wink:

No, but they might be driving in a Torino. I had one of those, many years ago!

Is it now going to be the “Shroud of Torino”? :slight_smile:

Of course, the summer Olympics in 1972 were held in Munich. One commentator at the time was keen that it should be rendered after the German manner, as “Munickh”…

Isn’t Munich rendered in the German manner as München?

Exactly.

If you go to the official site for the World Cup in English, the cities are all rendered in their “English” forms: Munich, Nuremberg, Hanover.

The French change different cities, for example: Francfort, Hanovre, Hambourg. And Spanish has some different names too: Colonia.

As it happens, our local NBC affilliate KSL-TV did a story on this exact subject last night (Real Player required).

I think all cities should be referred to as they are in their own countries. Not doing that is arrogant.

Exactly! And “Torino” is the Italian name for the english version, “Turin.”

Ciao :slight_smile:

But here’s the problem: Most languages have sounds that are not recogizable in other languages. Torino isn’t too difficult for Americans (the sounds, if not the correct accent) , but Muenchen is very difficult for Americans to pronounce correctly.

There’s nothing arogant about it, it’s just traditional that different people pronounce things differently. Do we all in the US have to pronounce New Orleans the way the locals do?

I’m not talking about pronounciation, I’m talking about making up a whole other word to call a city.

No, the games are just being held in a small donut-shaped stadium.

/me ducks

They do it to us, why shouldn’t we do it to them? I say “Pare-iss,” not “Par-ee,” and for the same reason the French say “Londres,” not “London.” Don’t even ask how they try to francisize “Saskatchewan.” :eek:

Was it one of these?

You think someone just went around and made up words?

The Romans called it Castra Taurinorum. Maybe we should call it that. Were the Italians (or Lomabrds or whoever) arrogant when they changed the name.?

Cities get different names over time. Again, there is nothing arrogant about using one of the older versions or an Anglicized version.

So sorry, but I must – how do they francisize Saskatchewan? (An easier word to type than “francisize,” oddly enough.)

They, don’t, really, in my experience. In the same way most people would look at, say, an Icelandic city name, they say the first and last sounds and sort of fill the rest in with improvised mumbling. For example, I’ve heard “sezchuan” more than once. Good to know I live in China!