Translate into x language: "Ring bell for service"

But whether right or left justified, לצלצל is such a pretty word, like many of the 4-consonant doubled-shoresh-type words. I’ve always thought that משמש would be an excellent cat name.

[QUOTE=Shoshana]
But whether right or left justified, לצלצל is such a pretty word, like many of the 4-consonant doubled-shoresh-type words.
[/QUOTE]
[Total hijack…] Probably has something to do with the fact that most Quad roots, and certainly most double-pair roots, are onomatopaeic – So if it’s a pleasant sound, you get a pleasant word.

Then you’ll be happy to hear that more than one Ginger has been called מישמיש :slight_smile: [/TH]

OK, in penance for Hijacking, I’ll try to find an Arabic translation for ya.

As promised, an Arabic translation as penance for my previous hijack: Can’t vouch for accuracy, as I don’t read Arabic, but here’s what I got online (at this site ):
“Please ring bell for service” - رجاء حلقة جرس لخدمة
“For service, please ring bell” - خابرت لخدمة ، رجاء جرس

Hopefully somebody who does read Arabic will weigh in and comment?

[QUOTE=Nava]
Ergh, dear, I wouldn’t quote hotel signs for “correct language” unless they’re in the primary language of their location… and then, not always. Like I said that one happens to be in use, but it’s not the most common one.

After all, millions of stores and hotels in Spain, as well as Help Wanted ads, say “English Spoke”, which always makes me wonder whether English is the name of their talking bulldog :wink:
[/QUOTE]

Well, I usually would agree with you, but I’ve seen the Favor de construction in all sorts of places, often hand-written in businesses that are run by native Spanish speakers – we have a whole bunch of those around here, mostly restaurants with the Favor de no fumar up somewhere inside. I also see them all over Miami and Hialeah whenever I’m down there.

However, I will not argue the point with a native speaker when I am not one. I will just say that I see it all the time.

[QUOTE=Noone Special]
As promised, an Arabic translation as penance for my previous hijack: Can’t vouch for accuracy, as I don’t read Arabic, but here’s what I got online (at this site ):
“Please ring bell for service” - رجاء حلقة جرس لخدمة
“For service, please ring bell” - خابرت لخدمة ، رجاء جرس

[/QUOTE]
Delightful!