Translation of a welsh song

So, there’s this song by a Breton band that I always loved a lot. Unfortunately, it was in Breton so I had no clue what it was about. But… I’ve been told recently that actually it’s not a Breton song, but a Welsh song. And I thought that maybe there could be some Welsh speaker on this board.
Since I don’t know whether it’s a traditional song or a copyrighted one, I can’t post the lyrics here due to the board’s policies. Here’s a link to a page where you can read the lyrics (also you can click on “Ecouter un extrait” to listen to a bit of the song).

AFAIK, it’s admissible to post part of the lyrics, so here’s the beginning of the song. Hopefully, someone will at least be able to tell whether it’s Welsh or not :

So, is there a Welsh speaker, over here, who could, not necessarily translate the whole song, but at least tell me what it is about?

That doesn’t look like Welsh to me. No 'dd’s or 'll’s. I think it’s Irish.

Im born and bred in sunny (ahem!) Wales and i can guarantee you that is not Welsh!

Indeed, it would appear to be a traditional Irish song called “Caide Sin Don Té Sin?” Translation here: Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

yup - Irish gaelic. Here’s a link to the lyrics and an English translation.

Was gonna say. That’s Irish! lol

OK, now translate it INTO Welsh. :smiley:

Thanks for your quick answers. I must say I’m a little bit disappointed. I expected to be more profound, maybe to be some sad, poignant story. Well… I still like the song, though.

By the way, following your links, I listened to another version of it, by this Irish lady I forgot the name of. If I hadn’t know in advance, I would never have guessed it was the same song (nor the same language, for that matter).

OK, what does “céilís” mean (first line, third verse)? That word is not in the original song, so it’s a translation of something for Irish into what?

Well, a céilidh or céilí is a Gaelic get-together involving much dancing, but I too am puzzled as to why the Gaelic word only appears in the English translation.

I don’t know what to make of this but you may enjoy it.

youtube link to some people discussing the band and playing the song I guess

I suspect a literal translation would have produced something along the lines of “to the dance, to dances or sports”, and so an alternative word, appropriate and vaguely familiar to English-speakers, has been substituted. However, I’ve forwarded it to a few people who might be able to help with an understanding of Irish.

A challenge!

*O, es i i’r marchnad i gyfnewid fy muwch
Am bum punt o arian a gini o aur
Os yfais yr arian a rhannais yr holl aur
Am does dim ots i neb, wel,
Does dim ots i chi

Os awn i i’r llwyn i gadw mwyar gwyllt
O gangau’n tynnu afalau neu yn bugeilio
Os mewn cysgod ymlaciwn am awr neu fwy
Does dim ots i chi

Os i’r tympathau awn i, i ddawnsiau, i’r sbort
Mynd i’r ffair ac i’r rasus a phethau fel ’na
Os llawen yw’r pobl a llawen yw fi
Does dim ots i chi

Dywedir ar gyfeilion ydwyf, y cnaf
Heb feddiant, daioni, heb wartheg, heb ofal
Os oes arnaf i eisiau mewn hofel mynd i fyw
Does dim ots i chi*

[Not an ideal translation, since it mixes language registers obnoxiously and no doubt there are genuine errors, but it sort of scans and mostly gets the sense across.]

Irish rince (pron. rink-yeh) is “dancing.”

I prefer Clannad’s version of that song.

Airnéal is essentially another, less common word for céilí. I think there might be a difference in that airnéal refers to other activities, not just dancing but singing, storytelling and the like. The word ceilí is used in English and is universally known at least in this part of the world so translating it as ceilí makes sense.

Thanks for sharing. I like this version too (quite similar to the one I’m accustomed to, this time) . Actually, I like the people depicted in the video. Their attitude and the way they speak, the setting (old memories), and even the language.

Looked for it and listened to it also. Yes, it’s a good version too (though a bit slow) and I like the singer’s voice. I don’t know Clannad, but maybe I should investigate further about them.

I do not regret to have opened this thread, even though at this point, it would probably be more suited for “Cafe Society”.

OK… I just noticed that in the “related videos” there was a lot of versions of the song (including one with a rather creative video display).

I always have stood away from Youtube thinking it was just a place where people put stupid videos about weird and boring stuff, but actually I’m hooked. I just registered. Yet another way to waste hours in front of a computer screen, like I didn’t know enough :mad: .

And while I’m at it (I mean watching dozens of celtic music videos) since some celtic-language speakers have chimed in, what about this one?

Breton? Welsh? Irish? What say you?