Trendy catch phrases you've had enough of...

THAT’S the one that makes me want to throw things at mirrors like I’m a drunk in a bad black and white movie!

Aaaaaaaaaargh!

Is “good on you” one? I thought it was a British phrase or something and I just heard it every once in a while and that was fine. You can expect that kind of thing from the British. Now all of a sudden everyone says it all the time.

sentences I love to hate

"are we on the same page … ? Wouldn’t “do we agree on …” be easier

“landfall” as in “Cyclone Cyclops made landfall” We used to say "Cyclone Cyclops landed ", not anymore.

or just the simple “roadmap” as in the “the roadmap to peace in the Middle East” Roadmap? why not simply : 'the plan for peace in the Middle East?

I don’t mind if the Americans use them, but when they enter our Australian parlance, then they make me cringe.

I assume that and “so” were upper-Midwest regionalisms. Therefore, it would be impossible for them to be trendy. “So” also has several usages. It can be dubious, “So? Do you really think you should start that leaf fire with gasoline?” It can be disapproving, “So. Just how stupid was that?” It can be used to interrupt an endless story, “So how much was the fine?” It can be an indicator of a change of scene, “So I’m there at the front desk of the motel with Lena still in the car,” or a change of situation, “So in walks Lena’s husband, Ole,” or in a recap of the situation when coming back from an aside, “So there I was, sitting on the bed, naked as a jaybird.” A very useful word.

And it’s “Ya wanna come with?” “Do you want to come with?” is only a step away from “Will you and Buffy be joining us at the Hamptons?”

“Doors at 7.” Because “Doors open at 7” is way too much work.
(Ok, I admit this one isn’t so much a ‘trendy’ phrase or anything; I am just annoyed by it.)

Cool story, bro.

I have heard people use and say “yahoo”, instead of “woohoo”, I am assuming, and that irritates me.
Another one is: “ok…so…check this out…”

No. I don’t want to check it out. Thanks!

Hearing that phrase from anybody always makes me want to slap Christopher Kimball.

I knew “my bad” was dead as soon as I heard a TV news anchorbarbie use it during a broadcast. As dropzone noted, “come with” is common here in the Upper Midwest. It sounds normal to me, but I can see how it might be annoying. I mentally edit sentences that begin with “So” just as I used to edit my employer’s dictations. I find sentences beginning with “And” or “But” equally offensive.

I’d like to add to the list “easy-peasy” and other forms of baby talk when not uttered by actual babies. Daytime TV is infested with this shit.

Heard too often on singing competitions: “You really made that song your own.” :rolleyes:

Compounded clever words don’t bother me; compounded stupid, unintelligible words do. Case in point: Grexit. It’s dumb, it does not work, it does not immediately convey what it means. Chillax and bromance, on the other hand, are almost immediately intelligible.

Especially when such sentence does not follow a previous (possibly related) sentence. F’rinstance, when I go to a store and a sales clerk approaches me and says, “AAAAAND how can we help you today?”

AAAAAND even when uttered by actual babies, for that matter.

Either this is a zombie thread, or I’ve travelled back in time this afternoon without noticing, or some of you are using a trendy new definition of the word “trendy” that doesn’t mean “the current or latest trend”.

In the spirit of nominating phrases at least a decade old, I’ll take “baby daddy” and “yummy mummy” because they both make my skin crawl.

God, I hate ‘cool story’. It’s just so dismissive and insulting, especially since it’s almost always aimed at someone whose only crime is being slightly boring.

I also hate ‘sammich’ and ‘just saying’.

Speaking of weather, another one the media has worn out when a big storm threatens is, “hunker down”. You can bet when you see newscritters standing out in the sideways rain, they will end the story with “hunker down”.

“Not so much” has moved into annoying territory.

At least in my experience in Britain, ‘yahoo!’ was the normal version- ‘woohoo!’ only seems to have come into widespread use in the last ten years or so. Is it better if you think of it as a regionalism?

Oh, and anyone who says ‘chillax’ deserves to be bludgeoned with burning weasels until they see the error of their ways.

Count your blessings; those have all been around for a long time here. :slight_smile: And I’ll take any one of those many times over vs the ones I mentioned above.

I’m not sure if this counts as it’s also been around a pretty long time at this point, but “I’m all” is a real teeth-grater for me.

You assume incorrectly. :slight_smile: It’s everywhere, near as I can tell.

Obviously. And many of them (as you noted) grammatically correct and hardly trendy. And-? They aren’t the usages we’re talking about.

Actually “yahoo” has been around much longer, and if I had been making this post about 10-15 yrs ago, “woohoo” would have easily made the list as it was all the rage then, thanks to “The Simpsons”…along with “d’oh!” (Both said in a Homer kinda way)

Someone else gets it; thank you very much. I was debating whether or not to say something as I know how easily some people are prone to having hissies on msg boards if you dare question anything they say. :rolleyes:

Excellent additions! I abhor any “baby talk” unless one is actually talking to a baby (actually even then it gets old fairly quickly). “Peeps” is perhaps the worst of all. Recently a boss in another dept said he needed to “talk to his peeps” about something. I wanted to hand him some pink marshmallow treats and say “here, talk to mine first.” Don’t even get me started on the “street” baby talk, like “shizzle fo nizzle” ad nauseum.

Another excellent call, although around here that seems to be quickly fading. I’ll take whatever small victory I can. :slight_smile:

I abhor the rise of spendy, and its even newer, deformed homunculus cousin cashy, as substitutes for “expensive.”

“No worries!” also fills me with rage for some reason, as a substitute for “it’s ok.”

I do, however, want to see “that’s just the angle of the dangle” take off in the business world.

Mouthfeel is useful for non-solids like wines, beers, and even cigar smoke. Texture wouldn’t fit these as accurately.

Well, that goes without saying. :wink:

Oh, no shit. I cringe every time I hear it.

This fits my recollection, too. I remember reading “yahoo!” a lot in children’s books in the '60s, but “woohoo!” seems to have become popular with the advent of the Simpsons.