Trendy catch phrases you've had enough of...

Also, ‘like’, as in So, I’m like “What is your problem,” and she’s like “I don’t have a problem”.

That’s actually been around a long time…

There are actually people who constantly actually use the words actually and actual at rates far greater than than the actual need for them. I call these people “actualers.”

This is the trendy expression that currently gets on my nerves. It stands for “you only live once.” I’ve found it used to justify or excuse irresponsible behavior several times in the past few weeks. :mad:

I also can’t stand certain abbreviations, like “vacay” for vacation or “adorbs” for adorable. This is why I avoid reading my daughter’s and niece’s teenybopper fan magazines as much as possible.

Oh making words/phrases into acronyms or abbreviations definitely should go on the list. That whole “text-ese” BS. :gag:

Baby bump.
Die people that use this die.

I do this sometimes when I’m too lazy to think up another substitute for “really.”

ETA: Give Rick a prize. “Baby bump” is at the top of my hate list. I hate it so much I forgot it existed.

None of the phrases in this thread particularly annoy me. Nor do I even think of them as (catch)phrases (though I’m aware that some formal definitions of “phrase” include just about anything).

If I had to think, the management-speak phrases annoy me, but only when they’re virtually devoid of useful meaning: e.g. “How do you eat an elephant?”, “Get all our ducks in a line” etc.

HYFR

Shit pommes frites.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shit_pommes_frites

Makes me want to stuff shit in peoples face where the pommes frites really should be going.

Row. Ducks in a row.

You probably haven’t heard it because you missed the 70s. Unless it’s making a comeback.

I don’t think this is trendy or new, especially since my sister has said it for decades, but the verbal crutch “I mean” makes me stabby!!! And by that, I mean (I’m using it in the proper context here) people who begin a response to a question with that phrase. For example:

Interviewer: What are your plans for the upcoming event?

Interviewee: I mean, I’ll be making the most of my opportunities, etc etc

I hear this more and more on the radio and on TV and it makes no sense. You should use “I mean” to expand or clarify, not to introduce a statement which has been preceded by nothing! grrrrrr!!!

I also hate the use of “hopefully” by people who really mean “I am hopeful that” - I know that one’s a losing battle. It’s too much a part of the language to be eliminated. Doesn’t make me like it any better.

People probably use it because 1. it’s a correct usage of the word and 2. it sounds normal to use in casual conversation, unlike “I am hopeful that” in many contexts.

I don’t know why people are so irritated by “hopefully” but not “thankfully” and “fortunately” and the other similar words.

Pretty much any turn of phrase that is trendy annoys me because such phrases are usually used as a substitute for actual thought.

It means, “You have a point but you need to listen to the point that I’m about to make which will show that you’re missing the point.” Old, not really trendy.

It’s more than just texture; texture is just one facet of mouthfeel. It’s been around for a very long time. Not trendy, but it is foodie jargon.

Lost battle.

“Gifted” as a verb.

It was my birthday last week, and my husband gifted me a diamond necklace!

I’ll gift you . . .:mad:

“Wait for it…”

Drives me crazy.

So, I read something the other day that made me think this is a Northwestern (meaning Oregon, Washington states) thing. Can any Dopers confirm?

The only one I’m really tired of is, “It is what it is.”