Trivia Dominoes: Play Off the Last Bit of Trivia

While “Kentucky Rain” was written by Eddie Rabbitt and Dick Heard and a hit for Elvis Presley in 1970, Rabbitt did not release his own version of the song until 1978.

A section of Ohio highway was recently named for former Gov. Richard “Dick” Celeste, near but not in Lakewood, of which he is also a former mayor. Celeste is a Democrat who served as director of the Peace Corps during the Carter Administration before entering Ohio politics.

That too!

Celestial Seasonings founders Mo Siegel, John Hay, Peggy Clute and others started gathering herbs and flowers in the mountains around Boulder, Colorado and selling them to local health-food stores in 1969. The company name was derived from co-founder Lucinda Ziesings’ nickname.

The longest interstate highway is I-90. It is 3,085.3 miles, from Seattle to Boston.
The shortest interstate highway is I-97. It is 17.6 miles, from Annapolis to Baltimore.
The longest interstate highway in any state is I-80 across Texas.
Texas, with 3,232 miles, has the most interstate highway miles of any state.
The highest interstate highway is 11,158 feet — I-70, in the Eisenhower Tunnel in the Colorado Rocky Mountains west of Denver.
The lowest interstate highway is −103 feet — I-95, in the Fort McHenry Tunnel under the Baltimore Inner Harbor.

Probably a typo. I-80 does not run through Texas. I-10 across Texas is 877 miles.

In play: Kansas opened the first section of Interstate in the nation on I-70 just west of Topeka on November 14, 1956. When the entire 424-mile stretch of I-70 in Kansas was finished in June 1970, it was the longest continuous segment of Interstate highway to be completed by any state.

The “I-70 Series” was a nickname given to the 1985 World Series, as it was a matchup between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Kansas City Royals – two Missouri-based teams, whose home cities are connected by Interstate 70.

When MLB began regular-season interleague play in 1997, the term was used again, to describe the annual interleague Cardinals-Royals matchups.

In 1988, the Perfect Master wrote about how Hawaii, an island chain 'way out in the Pacific Ocean, can have interstate highways.

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/700/how-can-there-be-interstate-highways-in-hawaii/

Yes, a typo!

The longest day in my life was driving across Texas on I-10, back in the days of the 55 MPH national speed limit. All 877 miles of it! :smack:

The Texas Rangers are not called a Dallas team, because they play in Arlington, and there is a rule in the four major league sports that a team may not use a city designation unless the home playing field is geographically inside that city. The most recent application of this is the Vegas Golden Knights, who do not play in Las Vegas, but in Vegas, an amorphous holiday zone which has no legal definition…

(An unwritten rule, perhaps; there are a number of examples of teams in those leagues which don’t currently follow it, including the New York Giants, New York Jets, San Francisco 49ers, Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills, and Atlanta Braves. Though, all of those teams did, in the past, play in their “home cities,” and moved to suburban stadiums without changing their names.)

In play: the NHL’s Vegas Golden Knights were only the second true expansion team in the four major North American professional sports leagues to win their division in their first season of play (2017-18). The other team to have done so was the 1967-68 St. Louis Blues, though they were in an NHL division which was made up entirely of first-year expansion teams.

Another group of Golden Knights is the U.S. Army’s Parachute Team, first organized in 1959, during the Eisenhower Administration.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski of Duke men’s basketball has won more NCAA Championships than every other coach except UCLA’s John Wooden. He has more than Bobby Knight, and Krzyzewski used to play for him.

Bobby Knight was one of the few Knights to serve as a Knight. Early in his career, he was assistant coach of the Army Black Knights, the NCAA team of the US Military Academy.

The United States Military Academy, also known as West Point, is a four-year federal service academy in West Point NY. West Point is the oldest continuously occupied military post in the USA. The defenses of West Point were designed by Polish military engineer Tadeusz Kościuszko, who served as a brigadier general in the Continental Army.

Naval officer and historian Alfred Thayer Mahan was born in West Point on 27 September 1840,

The character Alfred Thaddeus Crane Pennyworth, first appeared in Batman #16 (April 1943), by writer Don Cameron and artist Bob Kane. In this first appearance, he was overweight and clean-shaven; however, when the 1943 Batman serial was released, William Austin, the actor who played Alfred, was trim and sported a thin moustache. DC editors wanted the comic Alfred to resemble his cinematic counterpart, so in Detective Comics #83 (January 1944), Alfred vacationed at a health resort, where he slimmed down and grew a mustache. This look has remained with the character.

US Navy Admiral Alfred Thayer Mahan, who was born in West Point NY on 27 September 1840, in his book “The Influence of Sea Power Upon the French Revolution and Empire”, wrote,

“Historically, good men with poor ships are better than poor men with good ships; over and over the French Revolution taught this lesson, which our own age, with its rage for the last new thing in material development, has largely dropped out of memory.”

David Farragut (1801-1870) was the first rear admiral, vice admiral, and admiral in the United States Navy.

Farragut is best remembered for for his order at the Battle of Mobile Bay, which is usually paraphrased as “Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead”.

His actual order was “Damn the torpedoes! Four bells. Captain Drayton, go ahead! Jouett, full speed!”.

The U.S. Navy has had five warships named after the legendary admiral over the years; the current one is an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer commissioned in 2006: USS Farragut (DDG-99) - Wikipedia

Television host Brooke Burke initally gained fame as host of Wild On!, a series on E! about the nightlife/club scene at various tourist destinations. Burke later won the seventh season of Dancing With the Stars (along with Derek Hough), and then served as a co-host of that series for eight seasons.