Trivia

Some email I got:

Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.

There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

The average person’s left hand does 56% of the typing.

There are more chickens than people in the world.

Two-thirds of the world’s eggplant is grown in New Jersey.

The longest one-syllable word in the English language is
“screeched.”

On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the
Parliament building is an American flag.

All of the clocks in the movie “Pulp Fiction” are stuck on 4:20.

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange,
silver, or purple.

“Dreamt” is the only English word that ends in the letters “mt.”

All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial
on the back of the $5 bill.

Almonds are a member of the peach family.

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies’ room during a dance.

Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.

There are only four words in the English language which
end in “dous”: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and
hazardous.

Los Angeles’ full name is “El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la
Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula”

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.

In most advertisements, the time displayed on a watch
is 10:10.

Al Capone’s business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were
named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank
Capra’s “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.

It’s impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.

The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.

In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by
a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.

There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.

“Stewardesses” is the longest word that is typed with
only the left hand.

Some of those are complete lies, but others are true. Snopes.com

But what’s the 4th word ending in -gry? :slight_smile:

also ‘typewriter’ is the longest word in the english language to all be written on the top line of the keyboard.

A dime may have 118 ridges, but a quarter has 119.

I remember that controversy.

Actually, it was a ten dollar bill. And the flag could look like a US flag to those unfamiliar with Canadian history.

But look at the Parliament Buildings pictured on the bill–they are the ones that burned down in about 1916. I’m trying to remember my high school Canadian history here, and IIRC, the flag that would have flown over Parliament in those days was red, had a Union Jack in the corner, and Canada’s coat of arms on the fly. When rendered blue-on-white in a small size as it is on the bill, it could be mistaken for a US flag, especially since it not the Canadian flag that is familiar to most people.

Guess whoever composed that e-mail originally didn’t know their Canadian history–or currency.

[Canadian hijack]Have you seen the new tens? Is it just me, or are they really really weird looking? Why can’t the government just leave things alone? (How many versions of the Canadian national anthem have we gone through now?)[/hijack]

My addition to trivia - I have heard (and have no confirmed source on this) that the reason your eyes close when you sneeze is so your eyeballs don’t go flying out of your head.

Well thank god for this tip. My rubber bands HAVE been giving out lately. They’re still rather bandy, just not quite as rubbery. I was going to go down to the office supply store and spend 99 cents for, oh, a billion more of them, but now I don’t have to! :smiley:

I do it all the time - Learned to make myself keep my eyes open and sneeze when I was 16, and I had to sneeze while driving down a winding hilly road. My eyeballs stayed firmly put in my head - they didn’t rebound off my sunglasses at all.

It’s not comfortable, so I only try to do it when I drive, but it is by no means impossible. Unless this is my superhero power - the ability to see while I sneeze!. Yeah, that’s it! I have a superpower! I…aww, man, what a useless power. How the hell am I supposed to fight evil when all I can do is sneeze with my eyes open? This sucks! I mean, I could see the value in being invulnerable or super strong, but c’mon, how does this do me any good?

Damnit, Kilt-wearing man–I thought I was the only person in the world who could sneeze with their eyes open. I guess I’m not that unique.
But we can’t go to any parties together. I don’t want you stealing my schtick.

Balderdash. You can only see the names of states that are actually on the Lincoln Memorial. Only 36 states are listed in all. Further, you can only see the states whose names would be visible if you were looking at the memorial itself.

Did you ever think to look at the back of the bill to see if this assertion was true?

Maine is the only single-syllabic state.

Big fucking deal.

Stewaresses is the biggest word typed with your left hand (using the touch-type method).

Whoop-dee-fuckin’-doo.

Why are people interested in this tripe?

Wow, Chiefy. What a 'tude. Now I see why you get those hostile e-mails. :smiley:

Yes, he can, and frequently does. He does not ** vote ** however, but that is by convention rather than law.

I don’t know if that is true. My alien-looking nephew has these eyes that are freakily large. You would think he was in a constant state of shock.