Trolling in the Pit

That’s fine @Miller, but, for the record, the rules as written (being very careful to be clear) don’t carve out an exception to the definition for Troll in the Pit, just that rules against trolling apply even in the Pit.

The sub forum rules for the Pit spells it out a tiny bit better:

No trolling

By trolling, we mean posting of inflammatory comments solely to get a rise out of people. If we feel your primary goal as a poster is to make people mad, you’ll quickly find yourself on the road to banning. On the flip side, the fact that a poster consistently makes you mad doesn’t automatically make them a troll. No trolling

So the earlier section I quoted seems to still apply. But that is IMHO, and yes, we normally cut a lot more slack in the Pit. But, my opinion, and apparently that of other posters in that thread, along with the way they pursue their points, is that the poster does fall under the standard. Thus my suggested compromise.

Not disputing that your moderation of the Pit is remarkably even-handed even with posters you disagree with, just that this poster certainly feels like our other ‘bright line’ tap dancers. They’re aware of it, and doing the “I’m not touching the line” and will continue to do so until they’re given strong reason not to do so. And a note would be a good first step.

Now to be fair, as I understand it, the dispute between you and the posters is the troubling “If we feel [their] primary goal as a poster is to make people mad” (emphasis and descriptor modified by me). Which is inherently subjective. But even if you feel they don’t reach that standard yet, reminding them and heck, even the thread IN GENERAL that these are the rules in an omnidirectional note can’t hurt. I can’t do it for fear of junior modding of course. :slight_smile: