True story - trying to cheat at the game of life

From hospital records:

astro:

Notice that there are many possible definitions of the world “Lucent”…

e.g. like Ferret Herder said it could mean “glowing” or “clear (translucent).” All three of those definitions have NOTHING to do with lucifer.

I looked up “lightbearer” (based on light-bearing)

it says “(redirected from Lightbearer)” and it goes to “Lucifer”!

Note that that site has no link/defintion for light-bearing.

http://www.experienceproject.com/question-answer/Does-Anyone-Else-Know-That-Lucifer-Means-Light-bearing/582314
This says “Does anyone else know that Lucifer means light-bearing?”

i.e. the EXACT word used in the quote (light-bearing)

Like I mentioned before, “there is obviously a strong theme about Dante’s Inferno and circles of hell… and Lucifer is the main character in that”

Lucent’s big project, Inferno, uses 4 terms related to circles of hell in Dante’s Inferno (Inferno, Dis, Styx and Limbo).

That quote says that the “ring of innovation” is merely abstract despite how closely it resembles the enso:

It didn’t explain the color red being used - though influences such as Inferno, Circles of Hell and Lucifer have a very strong connection to the color red.

I suppose Ferret Herder would still insist that Lucent still has absolutely nothing to do with Lucifer.

Are you taking your medication?

It’s true that it is very clear to all of us that Lucent has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Lucifer. It’s also very that their Inferno OS was inspired by Dante’s classic Divine Comedy, and that they wove references to hell into many components of the OS.

What I’m not clear about is what you think is the significance of the Inferno OS? It’s not like it was subtle - they clearly went with a hell theme deliberately. Do you think a magical Satan was involved vs. some marketing and engineering folks making a weird branding decision?

Exactly. We’ve called some background computing processes daemons for decades (originally a reference to a thought experiment involving a theoretical being sorting particles), so it isn’t scary or meaningful to have a computer system invoking such imagery. It’s closer to an old-school in-joke for programmers, nothing more.

But I’m sure you know that’s just what They want us to think, because you can’t be reasoned out of this belief. So I will just sincerely urge you to show this work to your therapist or psychiatrist, and start taking your meds on a proper schedule if you haven’t been.

Human brains are remarkable at making patterns out of unrelated stuff. Sometimes I hear faint music in the shower, that goes away when the shower turns off; this is a common reaction when “white noise” sounds are going on. The thing is, I know it doesn’t mean anything. Same as if there’s a thunderstorm on Thursday or if someone in the computing field makes a reference to something d(a)emonic.

No, I fully understand the etymology of the words “lucent” and “Lucifer,” which were formed (respectively) hundreds, and thousands, of years ago out of a dead language, Latin, going back to the root “lux” for light. I’m saying that has absolutely zero real meaning or concrete relevance, no real-world consequences. You’re making connections and claiming that Means Something Important because that’s what your brain is telling you.

The word “lucid” also comes from the same root as these words, but doesn’t relate to demonic things either. :dubious:

Some people have jokingly called their dog Cerberus but that doesn’t mean their dog is demonic. And I’m sure people named Mary or Jesus don’t meet the standards of their examples in the Bible, just like little girls named Faith or Chastity (!) or Prudence or Patience often similarly fail. Because naming something doesn’t make it so.

Again, I strongly urge you to speak to your doctor, and to show him/her what you wrote and try to explain your reasoning.

It does seem rather strange that Lucent chose such an overt “Hell Theme” for their product. I’m not suggesting they were devil worshippers – quite the opposite – but such a decision does risk alienating potential consumers who do believe in and fear “Satan”, and represent a rather large percentage of the market. It’s not like they were making heavy metal music or an FPS based on Mars or something.

Hmm, maybe that explains why Lucent nearly went belly-up, got bought out by Alcatel, and changed their logo from a devil-red paint circle to a royal purple Ouroborus with palsy. :rolleyes:

Seconded.

They just as easily can be utterly oblivious to what is right in front of them. C.f. that gorilla ball video experiment. Just saying.

Since I am a birder, here’s another one. Years ago I was completely ignorant to any distinctions between seabirds-they were all just “seagulls” to me, even the ones with the long orange beaks that utterly ignored any bread I might have fed to the “normal” ones. But I have absolutely no memory of them until after I became a birder, even tho I know they were around my life and right in my face for significant stretches. Graceful, beautiful, but not part of my worldview at all.

I’ve worked either directly or indirectly in marketing technology products my entire career and I agree it’s a really strange choice. The Web browser is named Charon. Who would want a Web browser named after the ferryman for the dead souls? But as you point out, it’s just bad marketing, not Satanic or conspiratorial.

A guy who worked at the company when they changed the name (can’t remember from what) the employees called the new logo the “coffee stain”.

According to Landor,

It says Lucent means “light-bearing”… which also Lucifer means (“lux” for light, “ferre” for “to carry”) - bearing is a synonym of “carry”.

Like I also said, there are easy to find places on the Internet that link “light-bearing” or “light-bearer” to Lucifer. "

e.g.
http://www.experienceproject.com/que...bearing/582314

“absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Lucifer”??? And that is just one of the links.

So then it isn’t much of a stretch that they might use the main character of that in the name of their company.

I agree! Then their name could also have the same theme!

Not at all!!!

Yes

“Lucifer” could be an in-joke too…

Just because I had one set of beliefs when I was unwell (believing in the supernatural) it doesn’t mean I still believe that!

I saw a psychiatrist two days ago and also mentioned the Lucent company and how people on the messageboards won’t agree that it could have a connection to Dante’s Inferno…

And it is remarkable that people here won’t agree that there is a possibility that there is a connection between “light-bearing” (Lucent) and Dante’s Inferno’s main character (Lucifer).

Are you saying that Lucent may be a reference to the demonic?

It also includes “ferre” for “to carry” (or “to bear”)… and the official source of the definition of Lucent says light-bearing.

I currently don’t believe in the supernatural… I’m just saying that maybe the big influence of Dante’s Inferno included the name of the company.

But the word is said to mean “light-bearing”! Not lucid, etc.

It means that the name has an origin related to demonic concepts - that’s all I’m saying about Lucent.

Are you able to admit that maybe Lucent’s name also is based on Dante’s Inferno? Dante’s Inferno is just a poem - I don’t believe it has anything to do with the real world. I don’t believe in the supernatural.

You seem to believe that if you admit to the possibility that it means Lucifer you would be agreeing that the company are Satan worshippers and Satan is real or something even though I don’t believe that!

I did.

Then what’s the big deal in suggesting that “light-bearing” means the main character of the Inferno poem (lucifer)?

Do people think that it is impossible that a company would base their name on lucifer? BTW I don’t think the lucifer character actually exists.

I don’t think the opposite is necessarily true - the opposite is that they’d hate things associated with the devil - and that doesn’t explain why they were so influenced by that kind of thing (the poem).

Maybe that’s why they didn’t call their company “Lucifer” (straight out of the poem like the other names)… just because it is an unusual decision it doesn’t prove that they weren’t influenced by the poem.

BTW when I google:
lucifer “light-bearing”
I get about 24,900 results… (notice I used quote marks for “light-bearing”)

For
lucifer “light-bearer”
I get 90,600 results.

That led me to this:

An old journal called “Lucifer the Lightbearer”!

I’m not saying Lucent has any connection to that journal.

ferre “to bear”
Gives 5,070,000 results…

Can people admit that Lucifer means “light-bearing” which is the exact meaning given by an article about Lucent? Maybe people think that to admit that they think they are saying that there is a big Satanic conspiracy but those are separate issues. Also I don’t believe in Satan.

First of all, it’s a completely illogical giant stretch to think that the name of the company is related to Lucifer just because a minor and unsuccessful product was branded around an Italian poem. You understand Lucent was a large company right?

Second, you really need to read the Divine Comedy. A fictional version of Dante himself is the protagonist and the only other real character is Virgil. Satan is mentioned in a few stanzas in Inferno. Purgatorio and Paradiso aren’t even set in hell. The only way Satan could be less so “the main character” would be if he wasn’t mentioned at all.

Are you thinking of Paradise Lost by any chance?

Can you admit that anyone can edit an article on Wikipedia and that “someone” did edit the Lucent article within the last day to add your ridiculous ideas to it?

In addition to whatever psychiatric crisis you’re currently experiencing, you also appear to have major reading comprehension issues.

Just because two words are synonymous for one definition, does not mean they share all alternate definitions.

Here’s an example.

The words “ass” and “butt” are synonyms for the gluteus maximus. So if I were to say, “My elderly grandmother can still kick your ass,” it’s the same as saying, “My elderly grandmother can still kick your butt.” But (no pun intended) those words are not exchangeable for other meanings, such as “I stubbed my cigarette butt out on the sidewalk,” or “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s ass.” To swap those two words and say “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s butt” or “I stubbed my cigarette ass out on the sidewalk” is utterly nonsensical (though the latter is much more nonsensical than the former.) Get it?

That don’t matter, my child. He believes in you.