True story - trying to cheat at the game of life

Yes, Lucifer is called as such because that’s from the Latin word for light. If Thursday was mentioned, would you think Thor was involved?

You failed to quote the reference on that page to it perhaps being a colored-in coffee mug stain. But that doesn’t fit your imagined connections, so you disregard it.

I’m not criticizing you. I’m saying that your imagination is making links to things that aren’t there or aren’t relevant; imagination is fine and awesome but it doesn’t mean it’s reality or even meaningful.

I had a friend with bipolar disorder who used to do that until she got it under control with better medications and frequent therapy, but before she did, she eventually believed there was a government conspiracy to monitor her that all of her friends and loved ones were in on, resulting in her breaking down and driving for hours, before finally collapsing, coming down from her manic-paranoid high enough to realize something was very wrong, and calling for help, then self-admitting to an inpatient unit for a short stay, long enough to get meds sorted out. Her uncontrolled bipolar episodes also destroyed her marriage (she’s now happily involved for years with a great guy), and nearly wrecked her career, but her bosses were very supportive of her through her illness.

And many sad or even legitimately depressed (or happy or normal) people find something meaningful in songs (or books or poems) that speaks deeply to them, maybe even turns them around in life. It doesn’t mean the song was sent out to help you, it just means you found it special. Art’s job is to make you think or feel, and there are thousands of songs and books and paintings you will encounter in life that don’t strike you as strongly, and that’s just how it works.

You said “no particular magical association”… I’m not saying that the organization definitely was thinking about Satan but just that there is a possible association.

I’m talking about associations which you said didn’t exist. It says “After the logo was compared in the media to the ring a coffee mug leaves on paper” - it doesn’t say that a possible origin of it was that like you’re implying!

You said there were no magical associations and I’m saying there are. You’re trying to say that the origin of the logo was a coffee stain and that isn’t true.

BTW there are even more associations than I’ve mentioned:

“The name of the operating system and many of its associated programs, as well as that of the current company, were inspired by Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy.”
(Dis, Limbo, Inferno, Styx)

I think that OS has about the most “evil” supernatural associations compared to any other! So Dante’s Divine Comedy is a major influence - here’s what it says about the comedy:

Also like I mentioned Satan can still be seen as an angel of light.

I think you’re too eager to dismiss all of this as being meaningless.

BTW Lucent’s logo is red, which is the most common color that Lucifer is portrayed as being.

Lucifer actually refers to the King of ancient Babylon, not Satan. Plenty of people think Lucifer = Satan, but the passage in Isaiah 14:12 was not originally linked to Satan.

Just FYI

Some previous discussion of it (discussed several times on SDMB)

This might help, might not, but not meant as any snark

Ferret Herder:

About Lucent and the logo and aspects of the OS:
(Dis, Limbo, Inferno, Styx)
They are circles of hell:

So what do Dis, Limbo, Inferno and Styx have in common - they are “circles of hell” (I think Inferno is a synonym for “hell”)?

And the logo happens to look like circles - and they’re red - a color of hell and/or Lucifer. If it is "just a Latin-originating word meaning “glowing” or “clear (translucent)” then why is it red? You need to explain why it is more likely to just be about glowing/clear than circles of hell and lucifer…

Zen Buddhism and Ouroboros has been considered part of the Occult:

“It is often used in popular culture as a generic symbol of the occult”

Why does it seem to have occultic origins rather than be a symbol that merely represents glowing or clearness?

As you can see in my latest posts, Lucifer is a character in Dante’s Divine Comedy and that doesn’t mean it has anything to do with the Bible… e.g. Dis, Limbo, etc, aren’t Biblical concepts.

:cool:

I think the logo also looks a bit like fire. (also “circles of hell”)
It’s weird that it says “The Lucent logo, the Innovation Ring, was designed by Landor Associates” yet the article isn’t sure what it means (there are 3 theories).

About Dante’s Inferno - a 2010 video game

and animated movie:

Oh puh-leeze… :rolleyes:

I think you completely missed FerretHerder’s point. The words “Lucent” and “Lucifer” may both share the same root word meaning “light” but other than that they share no relation at all. That’s false logic.

And I agree that Lucent’s logo looks much more like a coffee cup stain than anything else – or maybe the bottom of a red paint can, which makes more sense since that would imply they are “building” technology and making it look pretty. But I certainly wouldn’t read anything more into that.

But they can be considered part of the occult! (See the links, etc) I’m not saying that magick exists though.

What about the color (red), that there is obviously a strong theme about Dante’s Inferno and circles of hell… and Lucifer is the main character in that. If it is just about light and not about Lucifer, the red and the circle needs to be explained.

I guess you didn’t look up the Enso:

Also the coffee cup part is from Dilbert and they called it the “Brown Ring of Quality” - that doesn’t explain why it is red rather than brown.

So you’d prefer to just invent possible meanings rather than talk about the ones that Wikipedia says are likely? It also looks like fire I think.

Having a mark on the bottom of a red paint can implies messiness (if you painted things normally paint wouldn’t get on the bottom) - not about “making it look pretty”. And red has strong links to hell, fire and the devil. Why is believing that Lucent merely means “light” a better explanation for the color red? Please explain.

FerretHerder:

I wonder if I did a poll and asked what color people most associated with fire/hell/devil and what color they most associated with “glowing” or “clear (translucent).”…

I suspect they would say “red” and “white” respectively and that suggests a stronger connection of the logo’s to fire/hell/devil than to “glowing/clear/translucent”. (in addition the OS has 4 terms related to circles of hell… that’s another reason why hell and fire are related - also the actual appearance of the logo looks more like fire than a translucent glow… glows would have a soft gradient)

BTW I forgot to mention that the fourth time I went to hospital - at the end of January, 2007. I lost my memory for a couple of days. The last thing I can remember was being at an Internet cafe accessing the Straight Dope Messageboards…
One of the threads:

I’m sure that I wrote on the boards that I had to go because a nurse(?) found me but I can’t find that post…
Then I remember being back at a place which has housing for mentally ill people with nurses. I was getting into a car and was still going on about playing the role of Satan.

I was reading my notes from the hospital but they’re mostly in cursive and a bit hard to read.

Anyway apparently I had trouble recognizing my sisters and I was unable to recognize a case worker. I guess I reverted to an earlier version of myself that didn’t have access to recent memories. My case worker said that he helped me go to the toilet because I had trouble keeping my balance. I can remember having a cut on my eyebrow - from a fall I guess.

When I went to look at my notes I finally discovered a three page letter that I had been looking for for a long time. While scanning the first page I typed out the second and third pages in notepad. Now I can’t switch to notepad! The program is showing up in the taskbar at the bottom (in Windows XP)… but in the alt-tab menu it isn’t showing up at all… I can switch to other programs such as GIMP and Chrome and VLC… I even tried left-clicking and right-clicking on the icon in the taskbar (it says “Untitled - Notep…”) but nothing happens!

Edit: if I left-click on “Untitled - Notepad (N…” it looks like it is pressed but it never switches to it. BTW the text is different for Notepad because now I’ve got less programs running (I’ve closed GIMP)

I was finally able to switch to Notepad! I used alt-ctrl-delete and in the “Applications” tab I used “Switch To”. So I won’t need to retype pages 2 and 3…

On one trip to the hospital (I think it was the 2007 visit) my sister’s boyfriend wrote me a three page letter. I didn’t read it. About a year ago or less I wanted to find that letter. I looked through a lot of my things but couldn’t find it. Then today after writing a bit in this thread, I looked at the hospital records which I think are from my 2 or 3 latest visits. One of the first things I noticed was the letter! I couldn’t believe it. So I typed it out… BTW the writer of it is a wealthy ex-boyfriend of a sister. They still attend church together though.

It looks like I lost my memory for about 2-3 weeks in early 2007… I’m fairely sure my last memories were during the day of Monday January 29.

It looks like I was hospitalized on February 1.

On the 4th, it says I was in constant care in room 9. “religious/satanistic themes continue, some unpredictable behavior tried to throw a chair, run away, jumped out of bed”. “…encouraging him that if he wanted his needs met ie access to chocolate coke coffee etc he needed to rest for four (4) consecutive hours - as yet has not slept even with full quota of PRN Diazepam”

Lucent branding decision origin of name