Trump has COVID!

In all seriousness, are there any plausible theories on who Melania may have gotten it from?

The pool boy.

Someone from the White House Press Pool? I wonder who. Jim Acosta?

If it was Falwell’s pool boy, that would just be chef’s kiss too hideous to contemplate.

Would the election by cancelled/postponed if Trump ends up on a vent (I can only hope)? Or would the Republicans quickly nominate someone else?

As soon as I saw “Trump has mild symptoms”, I thought “Bet he’s heading for a ventilator…” No way will that crew tell the truth about the extent of this.

As for the election: if Trump dies before the election, presume Pence is the nominee by default. He’d dig up someone for the VP spot and then…they lose bigly. Because Trump’s rabid base of boogaloos and Proud Boys are not also rabid Pence fans.

My daughter this am: “This is God telling Trump, ‘One way or another, you’re out of office in Nov.’.” :smile:

Ballots have been printed. It is likely that the election would go ahead with Trump’s name. There is precedent in more minor elections.

It would be a gong show. Each state has different rules that say what their electors would be required (nor not) to do

The only thing to be sure of is that the Republicans, state-wide and nationally, will do anything ANYTHING to retain power.

No. The election date is set by law and would require a new law to change. There’s no chance something like that would get through both houses of the current Congress.

I’m not so sure about this. I suspect (without any ready evidence to cite) that there are a lot of people who like what they understand to be Republican policies but are disgusted by Trump. (My late father would have been one of them.) They’ll be more comfortable voting for Pence.

The MAGAts won’t care – they’ll vote for anyone with an R. And the evangelicals will be thrilled.

I’m not so sure I’d assume that. The RNC rules are that they’d vote on a replacement. I don’t know that Pence has a ton of support, but I bet many of them would love to throw it to a reliably right-wing establishment guy like Romney.

That’s what makes me a little nervous about this. The Republicans made this bed (Trump) but they might escape having to lie in it (Trump facing electoral defeat).

And I’ve got some news for you all, there’s no Republican who will bat an eye about putting Bill Barr’s election-stealing machine into play for themselves. We act like it’s all about Trump’s norm-breaking, but never forget these breakneck judicial appointments are all about replaying the 2000 election for as long as it helps hold off the demographic tide.

I didn’t see this mentioned yet, but since he has tested positive, doesn’t Trump have to quarantine himself, so no rallies, no golfing trips, no public appearances for about 2 weeks…right in the heart of the election process. Just staying in the White House day after day after day…

This may be the thing that finally drives him berserk…we shall see.

Did you remind her that his term expires in January, and not November?

Yes, pretty sure I read that the WH is reporting he will quarantine. So if nothing else, at least we hopefully get a vacation from trump’s constant BS for a couple week’s worth of news cycles.

Only if someone takes his phone away.

True, sometimes his more outrageous tweets make the news, but you usually have to go to his twitter feed to get riled up by his tweets; you can choose to ignore them if you wish. It’s more often his rallies and public appearances where he spouts crazy talk that gets on the news.

But now the media will be forced to report his tweets, because that’s the only campaigning he can do.

His staff should tell him that excessive exercise of the thumbs exacerbates Covid symptoms. Oh, and causes accelerated hair loss, too.

He won’t know what this means.

Who am I to correct God? I’m not Joe Biden!