'trump Make America Great Again Committee' releases ad saying they will defend Brazilian Christ statue

From the “you just can’t make this shit up” department, the trump campaign releases a digital ad with a photo of the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janiero, Brazil with the caption “WE WILL PROTECT THIS”.

Oooohhkay, one of 3 possibilities here:

• The trump campaign is too stupid to realize the statue is not in the US.
  • The trump campaign knows their base is too stupid to realize the statue is not in the US.
  • The trump admin is pledging to protect all statues throughout the world that Americans may like. By…I don’t know, sending in US troops to defend those statues if they seem to be threatened in some way?

From Wiki.

the statue is 30 metres (98 ft) high, excluding its 8-metre (26 ft) pedestal. The arms stretch 28 metres (92 ft) wide.[1][2]

The statue weighs 635 metric tons (625 long, 700 short tons), and is located at the peak of the 700-metre (2,300 ft) Corcovado mountain in the Tijuca Forest

I’d be impressed if anyone could get to Brazil, obtain adequate equipment and get it up the mountain, never mind actually pulling it down.

Rable-rousing the rubes and the racists is the only campaign strategy that’s ever worked for Trump. He’s doubling down.

File this in the same trashcan as all those Facebook “Post this picture of the flag to show you’re not ashamed!” posts. It’s (right-wing) virtue signalling. Logic and facts are irrelevant.

The Trumpists get to pretend that all statues everywhere are under threat and therefore this one is, and they get to show what amazing and brave Christians they are by guarding a statue that AFAIK no one is trying to get rid of (well, there’s probably somebody - there always is - but it’s not a serious threat). They feel good about themselves and that’s all that matters.

Finally a ‘South of the Border’ ‘Jesus’ Trump want to use the ‘Power of America’ to protect . . . calls to increase the height of the wall to follow.
CMC

You could use that flag grab/pussy grab picture as a creepy mocking ad against Trump as well as one for him. It looks like something from The Onion.

Reminds me of that old Star Trek where Spock (I think) goaded the rogue intelligent computer into an infinite loop with the old canard about what it means when a perpetual liar says he’s lying.

In this case …

By far the best way to extend Trumply protection to that statue would be for the US to buy Brazil. I hear it’s especially cheap right now. That totally appeals to the imperialists and, given the 85% practicing Christian make-up of Brazil, the wild-eyed Xian fringe.

But then we’d also be importing a lot of sort-of white and definitely-not-white people. Substantially none of whom speak English.

So now imagine the thoughts in the Trumply supporters’ heads:
Must save statutes - Must not have non-English speaking non-whites - Must save statutes - Must not have non-English speaking non-whites. …
Does not compute does not compute DOES NOT COMPUTE. BOOM!

All their RW heads asplode.

For what it’s worth the President of Brazil, Jair Bolsonaro, is the closest thing Trump has to an International disciple. More like, the only person below Trump in Putin’s multi-level marketing scheme.

It’s Trump. Don’t overthink it. Making a show about a Christian statue, even one in another country is showy and signally. Living as a Christian requires, you know, doing something.

I think they think it’s a statue of Stonewall Jackson or somebody.

Inexplicably cray-cray.

I think they think it’s the statue Christ of the Ozarks. They look similar, but the Ozarks one is much smaller and much more modern. (If you’re near Eureka Springs Arkansas, it’s at a tourist trap Passion Play site but they’ll let you in free if you say you want to see the statue.)

Hmm, Christ of the Ozarks doesn’t look very “lifelike and realistic”. Donny doesn’t like that sort of thing.

Lego Jesus!

Nope, Bolsonaro’s his own kind of authoritarian, linked to Brazil’s history of military dictatorship and pushing similar but not the same authoritarian/populist buttons as Trump.

He isn’t Trump’s disciple, he’s an example of parallel development, or devolution in this case. Sorta like the wheel being invented around the same time in completely separate ancient civilizations. :slightly_smiling_face:

Based on ad buys in states that were safely ensconced in the Trump column during the last election it looks like to me that his campaign has given up on winning outright and is concentrating on not being blown out of the water. They’re spending millions in Ohio, Iowa, and Georgia. Georgia for God’s sake. If Trump isn’t even safe in Georgia it’s going to be a loss of epic proportions. Defending Christ statues is appealing to his base, that 40% of the electorate that he’s desperate not to be abandoned by.

Absolutely hilarious, considering Trump’s ICE would put Jesus on the next plane home, if he ever tried to emigrate here.

May as well, Trump’s taking up all the room on the cross.