Trump Pressured Georgia Official to ‘Find’ Enough Votes to Overturn Election

Just wondering… how is this not treason? Or enough to impeach and remove?

From the Washington Post: “The Washington Post obtained a recording of the conversation in which Trump alternately berated Raffensperger, tried to flatter him, begged him to act and threatened him with vague criminal consequences if the secretary of state refused to pursue his false claims, at one point warning that Raffensperger was taking “a big risk.””

In what possible way could this be legal?

When a Republican Does it.

When did the call happen? The CNN article didn’t say. There was another call today, but surely it wasn’t that one?

Washington Post says the call was made yesterday.

That’s crazy. He’s still fighting for GA today? That’s literally insane.

Well, I would call it criminal at least, but it’s not enough to “impeach and remove” because no matter how many times the House impeaches it’s clear that as long as the current Republicans are in power in the Senate no Republican president, no matter how awful or criminal, will ever be removed from office. Hell, they won’t eve accept that he was voted out!

From the CNN report:

In another excerpt, Trump said, "So look. All I want to do is this. I just want to find 11,780 votes

This is of course purely to “ensure the integrity of the election”. :roll_eyes:

Trump is his own worst enemy.

Ha. It’s not ‘technically’ treason. Nor is it ‘technically’ extortion. Just skating around the edges don’t 'cha know. Don learned a lot from his friends in the mob.

“Nice business you have here, it would be a real shame if it burned to the ground”. Don does not realize that he is a third rate mobster, and nothing more.

“Trump is his own worst enemy.”
“…he is a third rate mobster, and nothing more.”

Trump and his colleagues are systematically dismantling our democratic process, so let us not minimize the damage that is being done here, please.

It’s enough. But he’s almost gone, just days now. And Senate Republicans, well. There’s a thing.

When interviewed, Senator McConnell said “Well there’s nothing in the Constitution that explicitly forbids the current president from declaring Democrats traitors and declaring martial law. We defend the president’s right to ensure that the election produces a satisfactory outcome”

Did this actually surprise anyone?

Only that it took this long.

I’ll be surprised if Republicans stand up for democracy, dignity and/or honor- whatever they can muster.

This makes me wonder how many other phone calls there were to Mr. Raffensperger’s counterparts in the other ‘battleground’ states that we don’t know about. Once Trump is bounced from the White House, a whole trove of criminal activity is likely to emerge. Trump can’t help it: he cheats. At everything, even U.S. presidential elections.

Surely the Republicans will not stand for such a blatant abuse of power! Ha. We all know that barrel ain’t got no bottom. I do hope that the new AG will direct a full federal investigation of this and throw the book at him. If he pardons himself, fuck that shit challenge the pardon in court.

Just listened to the audio – nothing short of unhinged. I have no vocabulary to describe how disconnected from reality Trump’s claims are.

If I were on the receiving end of that phone call, I’d be intimidated as hell, even knowing that he’s supposed to be an outgoing president in a matter of weeks.

Georgia Secretary of State Raffensperger is a Republican, and in fact was a outspoken Trump supporter before the election, and he is standing up for democracy, dignity, and/or honor. So is Republican (and former Trumpist) Georgia Governor Kemp. And so are at least a couple of Republican Senators, such as Romney and Sasse.

Of course, they seem to be outnumbered by the Republicans who are actively supporting Trumps delusions (11 Senators that last I saw) or sitting silently by.

Yeah, I gave that one individual Republican credit. Maybe it was another thread. Let’s see what those honorable Republicans in congress have to say. I have a prediction.