Trying to read label on bottle - what the heck is it?

Drkmeep Drkweep ??? Google seems useless today.

what the heck are these letters?

I’m almost certain that’s not English. It looks Cyrillic to me.

Cyrillic maybe? Crappy pictures, really, so it’s hard to tell…

Problem is, my knowledge of Cyrillic is limited to whatever the vandals have left on Wikipedia, but it appears there shouldn’t be a Capital “D” in there, since that’s not actually a Cyrillic glyph. But the second letter sure looks like a “Ж” (zhe).

Or not. Really hard image to read.

So it’s Russian? Probably booze? Not vodka since its red.

In handwritten Cyrillic, Д tends to look like a Latin D, and it also does so in some fonts. But I wonder if it could be another Central Asian alphabet?

Azerbaijani? I can almost convince myself I can see a Ə towards the end. Can’t make sense of the rest though.

Or could it even be Thai or a related script? Some stylised Thai fonts have letter forms that are surprisingly similar to Latin letters. Paging Siam Sam?

I know, four posts in a row and no answer. It looks like it says ВОДКА (vodka) underneath the initial D, so Russian would seem to be the favourite.

Could it be “Джиневер”, with an initial Latin style D in place of the “Д”? That would transliterate as jenever, and it does look like it could be a fruit jenever.

Definitely not Thai or anything related such as Lao.

Is that the OP himself holding the bottle in the photos? If so, is there any indication on the label of where it may come from? A city whose name may still be ecognizable in this alphabet maybe? What is this product anyway?

Drk mee ep = Drink me up. You just have to squint in reverse.

Hard to tell from such small pictures, given constraints of monitor and my vision, but I’ll go along with the Cyrillic camp.

Absent a higher resolution picture, I think Colphon got it right with Jenever.

“Дженевер (можжевеловая водка)”

This page explains what that is, but you’ll have to find someone whose Russian is better than mine to translate. (I only got the gist of it, and am too lazy to run it through a translation site. Sorry.)

Thanks! :smiley: I appreciate everyones help.

Genever (juniper vodka) - is strong alcoholic drink, which is a national Dutch and Belgians. Also known as “Dutch gin.” The name comes from the French word genievre (juniper). Was invented in the XVI century and was originally sold as a drug.
Genever is made by dipping a mixture of juniper berries with other herbs or spices directly to the grain mash prior to distillation.
Genever is the father of English gin.

Per Chrome’s translation (from Russian) of the linked page.

Hmm, I still can’t quite get the letters on the bottle to fit any spelling of Дженевер, although I can’t see what else it could be. It almost looks like there’s a gap or hyphen before the final “ер”, rather than a “в”. Also I’m pretty sure that’s not an “e” after the “ж”: as I said, it could be an и (i), which makes it “jinever”, but Googling “Джиневер” mostly brings up lots of pages about delphiniums…

@Colophon: It may not be Russian. It could be a related Slavic language that uses a Cyrillic alphabet but has letters that are not seen/used in Russian. Possible languages include, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Bulgarian.

The Russian alphabet does not include a single letter analogous to the “j” sound in “juniper”. The “Дж” combination at the beginning of a word is an attempt to render the “j” sound found in foreign words and does not occur in native Russian words (AFAIK).