Tuba! Repost of mine from MPSIMS

I received this email today at 9:51 and would like to make an assurance, and ask a question.

First, I would like to state that I’m not banned, and most certainly not HopelessIdjit.

Second, I’d like to ask if anyone knows who this is, and if anyone else got this, or similar, email.

–Tim

[NOTE: This post has been edited by TubaDiva.]

We think “HopelessIdjit” is our old friend OgreFade/TheUrge/Thought/etc. . . . this is yet another act in the endless farce.

Please report the email to whatever ISP it came from; this sort of thing is abuse of the system and every legitimate ISP does not allow it.

And please forward to me any emails or IMs in this vein, we are collecting evidence.

your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

Well, sadly, it appears that the sig line of the person matches the domain name from which it was mailed, so alerting THAT webmaster probably wouldn’t help.

–Tim

Ok, this is essentially the same response that I gave in MPSIMS, but I think that it fell off the page before anyone read it. The most probable explanation for this is that the board is putting the wrong e-mail address in profile information sometimes-- There was another post somewhere in this forum about someone who ended up getting a bunch of pictures intended for techchick68. In other words, someone clicked on HopelessIdjit’s profile link, and tried to send him an e-mail that way, but for whatever reason, the board listed Homer’s address instead of Hopelessidjit’s. May I also note that the names are very close, alphabetically. I suspect that what’s happening is that when the board adds new users, not all of the fields get updated at quite the same time in the database, but you’d have to ask the techs about that. In the meantime, the best response would be to reply to that e-mail and basically say politely, “I’m sorry, but you’ve got the wrong number”.

Chronos: The mystery deepens!

And the reply:

All I can figure is that their game in some way relates to getting people banned from boards? I mean, the name is “The Killing Game”… hmmm?

–Tim

WARNING! If you go to the site mentioned in Homer’s post, turn off Java first! It’s got a real nasty recursive window-opener that’s durn near impossible to kill. I’m going to try it again, a bit more cautiously…

If this is not the appropriate place to ask this question, I apologize. Since you seem to be discussing the troll/ banned situation-

I still don’t get why I see brand new posts from people that I have seen days before with banned below their name. If they are banned, why are they allowed to enter new posts?

Just inquisitive (and apparently dense)

Scotti

Ok it appears that you all are in the dark about all this, and just making up stuff to call the facts. The ThirdShift website is in No way, shape, or form related to this board, or web boards of any type. It is also is not related to whoever hoplessidgit is.

This is what has happened, these are the facts, these are not what might of happened. Hopelessidgit was linking to The Killing Game at the end of his posts to this board. I noticed the hits to my site from this address, so I come here to see why people are going to my site from here. When I get here, I see that where his name is, it says banned instead of member like the rest of the people. So I click the mail button above his name(not realizing that was for Homer) and send him a mail saying “It appears our game got you banned.” meaning The ThirdShift game. I personally have nothing to do with the person that was linking to my site, and quite frankly, I don’t need him killing my bandwidth linking to this board, and I am glad it got him banned.

Now that, that is all cleared up, I thank you for your time, and in responce to Chronos, why are you going to turn off you Java, that takes the fun out of the game. Why play a game that there are not consiquences to getting the wrong answer, and by the way. It if very simple to stop the game, when you lose, it comes up with 1 window that says "Sorry you lose, please kill your browser." At that time you have the chance to do what it says, and hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and "Kill your browser" However if you choose not to kill your browser, and instead click ok, then and only then, all hell breaks loose.

Once again, I thank for your time, and I hope everything is clear now.

The ThirdShift (www.thethirdshift.net)

Hey, no hard feelings, ThirdShift. I once had a similar browser trap on my webpage. I wasn’t playing the game to win, I was playing to try to figure out what, if anything, it had to do with HopelessIdjit and the situation here, and if nothing else, I felt I ought to warn the others here about the potential ill consequences of losing the game. Also, if it matters, HopelessIdjit wasn’t banned for posting the link; he was a problem here before, under various names.

Hey, no hard feelings, ThirdShift. I once had a similar browser trap on my webpage. I wasn’t playing the game to win, I was playing to try to figure out what, if anything, it had to do with HopelessIdjit and the situation here, and if nothing else, I felt I ought to warn the others here about the potential ill consequences of losing the game. Also, if it matters, HopelessIdjit wasn’t banned for posting the link; he was a problem here before, under various names.