Turn off the fucking cell phone

AAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

I was in my math class tonight. This rant is directed toward 2 of my fellow students.

TURN OFF THE GOD DAMNED PHONES!!!

The lady in the back row, her phone rang 3 times. The lad in the row ahead of me, his phone went off twice.

It’s a simple concept. We call it courtesy. We take certain simple steps so as not to bother and inconvenience the larger group. Simple steps. Painless steps. Really, it’s not as if your life is going to be threatened by you being unreachable for 2 whole hours. Turn the phone off.

What the hell is wrong with people today?? If I had my phone with me in the classroom( I didn’t…I left it in the car) and it rang, disturbing the class, I would have been embarassed!!! I would have realized that it was a faux paus. That it was inconsiderate of me…and then I would have turned the thing off. A remarkably simple solution. The 1st time your phone rang, I could forgive. But not the 2nd. Certainly not the 3rd. These were evidence of your disregard for fellow humans.

Is it me, or this shit happening more and more? I mean, phones should never, ever ring in certain settings. Classes, movies, churches…
OK, I feel a little better.

Did they answer the phone and start talking about some mindeless drivel that wasn’t important?
Were they waiting for that ever so important call from their child’s doctor informing them that they’d just awoken from a 3 month coma?
Yeah, sometimes phones ringing in certain situations is annoying, but you need to understand their motive before you rant.
If they forgot, do you give a dirty look as they quietly turn the device off looking sheepish?
Do they look to see who’s calling and divert the call to a message bank?
If a truck drives past your classroom, do you rant at the driver because it causes you to lose concentration?
Mobile phones are commodity of today.
Get used to it.

Sorry… yes… no… can’t hear you… you’re breaking up…say again…no…I’m in the library…the LIBRARY…no, the LIBRARY!!..yes…no, I’ll be home at the normal time.

No, I really can’t talk now Doctor, I’m in the library, so I won’t say it’s wonderful news that my son who you’ve diagnosed with cancer and has been in the hospital for 10 months is making a wonderful recovery, 'cos apparently that would PISS PEOPLE OFF.

I should be used to rudeness by now. However, I don’t feel it should be condoned.

The 3rd time her phone went off, she looked annoyed. Annoyed, like “why does this asshole keep calling me?” She didn’t seem to sense the irony.
But this

is drivel.

This just happened to me in my advanced engineering class last night. This chicks phone rang a couple of times, and the BITCH JUST LET IT KEEP ON RINGING!! Christ, doesn’t nearly every phone that has come out in the last 2 years have a vibration function?

Set your phone on vibrate, and if you get a call from your doctor excuse yourself from class to talk to him.

Drivel, yes. Possible, yes. Likley, no.

It was to illustrate that there are some times that you should give a little.
Without the context of why the phone was ringing, it was hard for me to sense your feelings.
Given she looked annoyed when it rang for the third time, I (now) feel that she should have indeed turned it off after the 1st call and fully concur with your POV.

Man, I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard someone talking on their cell phone to a heart surgeon or doctor or to someone important like that.

Oh wait, yes I can, ZERO.

Badtz said it. Put the phone on vibrate and then go outside the room. The world is not your fucking living room. Have some goddamn courtesy for others.

Yes it is. Now get your feet off my couch.

God, yes. Put the fucking phone on vibrate and put it in your pocket or on a belt carrier so you can feel it; go outside the room if you have to take the call. Heck, if I have to go into an extended conversation on my commuter train ride, I go into the vestibule between compartments to talk. I did just two days ago when the power was out at my home (my husband called to alert me and ask me to deal with it, bill is in my name), and I had to be on an extended conversation with the electric company where the person I was speaking to acknowledged that we should have power and she’d send someone out to fix it immediately. The train I take will have conversations going on but generally tends to be fairly quiet, and I didn’t want to disturb people.

You can bet that those oncologists and cardiologists who convey good/bad news to patients’ families have vibrate options on their pagers and cell phones, and the ones with any degree of politeness use them and don’t take calls in ‘quiet areas’.

The thing we’re overlooking here is the Status of the Cell Phone. If you turn it off, nobody knows you have one and therefore can’t admire you for the high level of coolness you have achieved.

There’s evidence of this all over, not just in ringing phones in classrooms or other inappropriate places. A woman I cannot stand anyway was standing in the front lobby of our school, waiting for the children to gather so we could take them on a field trip. In her hand was her cell phone and she was waving her hands all over the place as she talked, obviously to ensure the maximum number of people would note her Cellphonedness.

Because this pisses me off so much, my phone is always concealed in my purse, tucked way down in the little holder that came with the purse. I have it for convenience, not status. I’m always aware of it. I turn it off when I don’t want it to ring. Really, nobody needs to be that in touch with me. I’m someone who didn’t have any telephone at all for two whole years. (Although I didn’t have children at that time, which does make a difference.)

One minor point, though – my phone didn’t come with a vibrating option. I think you have to purchase a special vibrating battery.

why doesn’t the prof say something? most of my syllabi have NO CELL PHONES printed quite clearly. they’ll allow a phone to ring one or two times, but that person damn well better be hurrying to shut it off or leave the room.

i still loved my first math prof at uni. her syllabus said NO CELL PHONES and she repeatedly said, “if your cell phone goes off in class, you have to leave. i will not have you disturbing others; set it on vibrate if you need to know when someone calls.”

third day of class has an exchange like this:

prof: “so the cosine of the blahblah—”
student’s phone: RING RING
prof: “get out” (points towards door)
student: “hold on, i’m shutting it off–”
prof: “get out! i told you no cell phones. now you miss the rest of class. be glad this wasn’t a test day.”

that was SO COOL. :smiley:

Should I ever become a teacher, I shall institute in my classroom the same procedure as one of my favorite profs did:

If your cel phone or pager goes off audibly (vibrate is okay), just leave. Pick up your stuff, leave the classroom, and don’t come back until the next class session. You’ll have to get the notes and the assignment from someone else.

He actually enforced this, too, and I felt like standing up and cheering when he did.

Wow, apparently cell-phone hating professors think alike … my very first simulpost, go me!

I was at a funeral about a month ago, and got to see the height of rudeness. A woman answered a cell phone business call and held a short conversation in the middle of the eulogy.

I’m not really a believer in Heaven or Hell, but I really really hoped for Beelzebub to come snatch her right out of her shoes. Self-important bitch.

Is this still true? I mean, does having something that every 14 year old girl has make you cool?

Judging by the behavior of the cretins I am forced to come into contact with, yes. Maybe I’m assuming, but why else would you carry the thing around in your hand and wave it around, if it wasn’t so people would notice it? Take calls in conspicuous locations? Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! Ugh.

Minor nitpick-

It’s not the phone that makes you cool, it’s the calls-

i.e. “I’m so important that I have to be reachable at all times, and have to be able to give my opinion on anything if asked.”

The other day, I was at the IHOP having breakfast, and this guy at the table across from me answered his cell while eating with what I can only assume was his girlfriend. NOt only did he answer the call, he talked for (and I timed it, because I was astonished) 12 minutes, while she sat there. Was he talking about world peace, or someone’s operation? NO!

He was talking to his buddy about how wasted they both got the night before.

I would have offered her any amount of money to grab the phone and dunk it in the oj carafe, and then to pour any of the 4 flavors of syrup pitchers over his stupid, rude head!
:mad:

“Maybe I’m assuming, but why else would you carry the thing around in your hand and wave it around, if it wasn’t so people would notice it?”

I don’t know about anyone else, but if I’m expecting a call, I carry my phone in my hand because it’s harder to hear it ringing in my pocket (my phone not having the fucking ripoff $90 :eek: vibrating battery). I wasn’t aware that a cell phone was something to be hidden, that “waving it around” was like exposing my dick in public. :rolleyes:

“Take calls in conspicuous locations? Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! Ugh.”

Again, don’t know about anyone else, but I’m going to fucking well accept calls in any place where it’s acceptable to speak in a normal voice with other people. Church? No! Theater or movie theater? No! On the street? Yes. On the train? Hell yes. I’ve never heard that taking phone calls is like pissing or picking your nose, something that can’t be done in a “conspicuous” place where others may actually see this shameless and disgusting activity. :rolleyes:

A hint: if someone makes or takes a phone call in a public place :eek: it’s not about impressing you, egotist, it’s about wanting to speak with a particular person. Which, the last time I checked, has been the very purpose of the telephone (in its various forms) for around 125 years now. :rolleyes: