TV & Movie Characters Who HAD to Have Been Gay, but Weren't

I’m pleased to see that no one’s mentioned Ernie and Bert.

Although I always had sneaking suspicions about Don Music. . .

Eddie Haskell

Miller, she’s supposed to be in love with Neo, right? Oh, wait…that doesn’t pose a problem for the lesbian angle after all, does it?

I’ve always thought that Dr. Benton Quest and Race Bannon from the Johnny Quest cartoon were more than just friends. They were always sharing a tent.

Vic

Victor, I believe there was an episode of Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law that dealt with that very couple. Very funny show.

Race - or, rather, an evil robot duplicate - suing Dr Quest for custody of Johnny and Hadji, specifically.

Niles Crane isn’t really fair, because he’s played prissily by a gay man.

Mr. Belvedere

Jack Tripper - he seemed queer even when he wasn’t acting gay for Mr. Roper’s benefit.

Major Nelson - The guy had a gorgeous, scantily clad genie at his beck and call and he would rather keep her bottled up than fool around with her. They eventually did get married, but it took a long time.

Floyd the Barber on the “Andy Griffith” show. Maybe not gay but a little light in the loafers.

Al from “Home Improvement” (who doesn’t see that?).

The three guys from Full House.

I believe the fellow who played “Uncle Arthur” on Bewitched (Paul Lynde) made that character as “gay” as possible under the constraints of network TV of that time through in jokes.

Bart Simpson. "Ugh! These maple syrup stains are the worst!"

The Wicked Witch of the West (Margaret Hamilton). Stone lesbian.

Alice the Maid (Ann B. Davis). Her cameo in the Brady Bunch Movie nailed it for me.

Det. Rob Goren (Vincent D’Onofrio). Just a hunch.

Gilligan and The Skipper (Bob Denver and Alan Hale). Classic May-September thing going on there.

Ian MacLaine and Sam Loover (Joe 90). British answer to Benton Quest and Race Bannon.

Electrawoman and Dynagirl. If you know who they are, you know what I mean.

Perry Mason (Raymond Burr). You betcha.

Well, not quite. In one episode he was seduced by a green-skinned outer space temptress named Athena into almost causing some sort of havoc. She reappeared in another episode that season, and this time Dr. Smith had to compete with a rival green brute for her attentions.

Actor Howard McNear, who played Floyd the barber, suffered a stroke during the third season, the effects of which left him with that spacey way of talking.

This was doubly funny for me because at the time I actually KNEW a guy NAMED LYLE that everyone wondered about. Like the TV Lyle, he had all the swishy attributes but was rumored to be married. I laughed my ass off at this sketch. How did they know?

“But honey, you’re gay, right?”

Twenty-five posts and NO mention of Monroe Ficus from “Too Close for Comfort”?

For SHAME, people. He was gayer than a french horn, and more flaming than a Moe.

Oh my God, I just got that Simpsons joke. “Flaming 'Moe.” :smiley:

Floyd the Barber was gay way before the 3rd season.

I second the three men from Full House…come on…3 single men living together in SF and none are gay…please!

Steve Urkel from Family Matters.

Jm J. Bullock’s character Monroe from the 80’s Sitcom Too Close for Comfort.

Jeff Corwin from Animal Planet! He’s about as high camp as you can get.

Velma from Scooby Doo.

If only… sigh

So much for the old “gays have good fashion sense” stereotype. . .

“Mr Ed. Still closeted in the stable.”

And hung like the proverbial horse.

Oh, and forgot to mention:

Jimmy Olsen, cub reporter for the Daily Planet.