TV & Movie Characters Who HAD to Have Been Gay, but Weren't

It’s been years since I’ve seen it, but SCTV did a hilariously over-the-top gay version of Floyd: “Hey, hey Andy. Saw Opie the other day. Oooh. Boy needs a haircut. Oooh, yes.”

–Cliffy

Jack Sparrow - he’s just too cool. :slight_smile:

Never having seen the series, but having picked up a lot in passing from message boards, fan fiction, etc, I thought that was canon :slight_smile:

What about Fred? Wearing that ascot all the time, plus he never went after Daphne?

Richard, the assistant (and later boyfriend) on Caroline in the City. Even after he and Caro hooked up, I thought they were headed for a Coming-Out Very Special Episode.

That’s…interesting, considering that Malcolm Gets is slated to star as a gay man in a film called Adam & Steve.

As an aside, and going with the gay atmosphere, I had reason to float by the Cabaret webpage and happened to come across photos of Lea Thompson as Sally Bowles.

pause, to let gasps of surprise and giggles of incongruity pass

Sally Bowles, ladies and gentlemen. Lea Thompson.

Of course, looking over their aggregate cast list for this last run, it looks like they were offering lead roles to anyone famous who happened to be in the audience that night. Molly Ringwald? Joely Fisher? As Sally Bowles?! Not to mention Jon Secada (one-hit wonder Canadian singer guy, remember him?), Jon Stamos and Doogie Howser (!) as the Emcee.

Anyway…

This is kinda related, but not in an exact way…the guy from Will and Grace…the gay friend JACk…says he is not gay in real life…NOW…either he is the best actor in the world or the sadest closet case around, what do u think???

Well, Jughead Jones, obviously.

Actually, lilyflower, Shawn Hayes refuses to comment on his sexuality, whether to clarify it to be gay or straight. He’s played other gay roles, as well as straight ones.

Like Jughead and Moose weren’t carrying on a secret affair for years…

Midge and Ethel as well. They were all beards for each other, obviously…

Bobby Hill.

“Like Jughead and Moose weren’t carrying on a secret affair for years…”

NOT TRUE!

We thoroughly analyzed the Riverdale issue waaaaaay back when we debated whether Archie would end up with Betty or Veronica. According to my analysis, Archie married Betty, regreted it 'til the day he died, all the while not knowing that Moose was banging the living daylights out of Betty every afternoon (well, on those afternoons when she wasn’t too plastered to drive to the Riverdale Motel).

There’s a link out there somewhere to the thread.

Howard Sprague also from The Andy Griffith Show, and I am pretty sure he wasn’t suffering from the effects of a stroke.

All three of the Cartwright boys on Bonanza, plus Hop Sing.

Jo on Facts of Life- please don’t tell me I’m the only one who came to this conclusion…

He’s been mentioned already, but not in this role- Tony Randall as Sydney in Love, Sydney.

Ducky- I think that was the character’s name- in Pretty In Pink.

Leather Tuscadero in the last couple seasons of Happy Days. That didn’t stop me from having a major crush on her though.

“…with Gilligan, the Skipper too…”
Oh, and Dr Zachary Smith from the 60’s Lost In Space.
Way too easy.

Yeah right. Then how come he always wanted to split up in groups-and Daphne was always with him? Sometimes Velma too.

They were having a wild threesome!
Um, I thought the point of Love, Sydney was that he WAS gay!

Mr. Belvadere.
Carlton Banks, Fresh Prince of Bel Air. C’mon, who do you think you’re fooling?

Sydney was written as gay originally, but the network execs nixed it.

What, all these Andy Griffith characters and no mention of Barney Fife? Or any of Wally Cox in “Mr. Peepers”?

Mr. Bombay from “Bewitched”.

That’s Dr. Bombay to you, mortal…

What was gay about Barney Fife?

IIRC, they had several references to him being gay in the show, but they were much more subtle than originally intended. I remember seeing an interview with TR saying that the character was gay, they just had to tone things down. A lot.