TV show architecture - any show with a one story house?

I know this has been covered before, but I can’t seem to find it.

In every TV show I can remember where the main characters live in a house, it’s always a two story house. Has there ever been a show where they lived in a one story house?

Gilligan’s Island.

Though it was actually several houses… err, huts.

What about the Arnold’s house in The Wonder Years? Wasn’t it a one story home?

Malcolm in the Middle, The Golden Girls.

Well, if you allow huts, then all the 4077th quarters in “MAS*H” count. The Swamp, etc.

Huts and tents are stretching it a bit. They may be homes, but they aren’t houses. :smiley:

How about the Petrie house in Dick Van Dyke? I know Rob and Laura’s bedroom was on the main floor, and I think Richie’s was, too.

Little House on the Prarie :slight_smile:

So there are some one-story houses on TV. But not many, it seems. So why is that? Why do most TV families live in two-story houses?

My WAG is that they tend to re-use sets from one series to the next, just repainting and redecorating so it looks different. So if a few houses are two-story, then almost all of them are…

The girls slept in the loft, which would count as a second floor, I think.

The Flinstones featured single story houses I believe. And what about Three’s Company, I didnt watch much but I dont remember a second level.

My WAG would be that it has more to do with the idea of how the “typical American” family lives.

Plus, the bratty kids having a tantrum and running up the stairs to their rooms was too powerful a cliche to avoid!

(Add Freaks and Geeks to the list. All of the main characters lived in one story homes.)

My guess is that a multi-level setup allows for stories, especially certain humorous ones: people accidentally overhearing things (easier to show someone ‘innocently’ eavesdropping from upstairs – you just tilt the camera up), kids sneaking out via a tree is much more fun than if they are in 1st floor bedrooms, people can fall down them, shout back and forth from living room to bedroom, etc.

The staircases also allow people to make grander entrances, like little Miss Grown Up descending all dressed up for her first dance.

They lived in an apartment, rather than a house.

And they lived on the second level of that apartment building.

Three’s Company was set in an apartment building.

Life of Riley

Wasn’t I Dream of Jeanie in a one story?

Nope. Tony’s office was upstairs.

Does Grizzly Adams count? A log cabin shack isn’t a hut or a tent.

I heard somewhere where they definitely did this for two well-known shows, but I can’t remember which, and where I heard it. It was definitely one of the “stairs behind the couch” sets. Like:
–Roseanne
–The Drew Carey Show
–That Seventies Show
–Married With Children
–Family Ties
–Gimme a Break
And about a zillion others.

While flipping channels the other night, I came across a sitcom (possibly Yes, Dear) where the guy wanted to turn the couch with its back to the audience (the exact opposite of every sitcom living room). He does so and everybody notes that it doesn’t feel right. They’re not sure why.

Pretty funny.