TV show lines that have stuck with you for a very long time.

WKRP in Cincinnati “As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!”

I think that one transcends the mere ‘old lines that stuck in your head’. That line has become a cultural icon.

Most of Futurama, but this one sticks out:

BENDER: I’m so lonely. I’m gonna go eat a bucket of ice cream. (crying)
FRY: (shouting) The spoon’s in the foot powder!

Also, any time someone calls someone else in Seinfeld and the receiver asks, “Who is this?” I’ve done that to my friends before. They react about the same as the caller does in the show each time.

You’re right. Here are a couple of favorites from Life on Mars:

Sam Tyler: I think we need to explore whether this attempted murder was a hate crime.
Gene Hunt: What, as opposed to one of those I-really-really-like-you sort of murders?

Gene Hunt: If you think I’m gonna let you walk away from this investigation, than you’re in for an even bigger disappointment than when we found out the plonk Doris Bangs was a name and not a promise!

Paulie You’re not gonna believe this. He killed 16 Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.
Christopher His apartment looked like shit.

“Ivanova is God.”

“I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn’t it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.”

(Babylon 5.)
“Everyone cries when they’re stabbed! There’s no shame in it.” (Slings & Arrows)

“Jane, you ignorant slut.”

Bravo! A classic the moment it was uttered!

Most memorable line that was never said.

June: Ward, I think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night.

At least, I have never any confirmation that the line was ever uttered on Leave it to Beaver.

All in the Family:

Meathead - I’m agnostic
Edith - does that mean you don’t believe in God?
Archie - it’s worse than that , it means he can’t have kids!

Okay, I’m taking “TV show” to include stand-up comedy shows so that I can include one I had to go look up to see that it’s quoted at
[Quotes to Ponder]
(Funny2 - Interesting Quotes 1) and which I heard quite some time back:

===================================================

I went out to dinner with a Marine last weekend. He looked across the table and he goes, “I could kill you in seven seconds.” I go, “I’ll just have toast, then.” - Margaret Smith

===================================================

It broke me up at the time and I have used it myself when the occasion seemed right, but I swear I can’t tell you why I think it’s funny!

I hate myself for doing this but I have a nit to pick.

The exchange (from memory) was closer to:

Diane: “Methinks the lady doth protest.”
Woody: “Excuse me Miss Chambers but shouldn’t that be I thinks”.

It’s the -s on “thinks” that gives it the zing.

O.K. sorry about that.

You tell him, Ferret Face!

I believe that line came from the wrestler Freddie Blassie. And I think he even had a hit record with that name.

yup…Freddie Blassie - Wikipedia

Good to know its origin. I still say I heard Richard Boone as Paladin call some lowlife on the show “a pencil necked geek.” Unfortunately the line doesn’t appear at Memorable quotes for “Have Gun - Will Travel” (1957) but the date might coincide reasonably with:

“Blassie came up with his famous “pencil-neck geek” catchphrase early in his career to describe a fellow carnival performer known as “The Geek”, who bit the heads off chickens and snakes. Blassie described this geek as having a neck like a stack of dimes, and that he was a real pencil-neck geek.”

Perhaps the real issue is where, when, and how Boone picked up on the term and to what degree he was familiar with Blassie.

I have the single. :slight_smile: Here’s the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzTysqw6_P8

One thing is for sure: nobody reading this thread can claim ignorance of the concept of the “pencil neck geek” and variations thereof. Ignorance fought; ignorance defeated.

Band name?

From now on I’m going to bend *what *I want, *when *I want, *who *I want.

More from B5:

“If you value your lives, be somewhere else.” (the whole quote is great, but the payoff works just fine)

“I’d like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I want to look up into your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?”

And one the baddest-ass lines of all time: “I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me.”