Twitter bans MyPillow corporate account after Mike Lindell uses it to circumvent personal Twitter ban

And that’s something we need to keep reminding ourselves of: the sort of underlying mind set does not render you unable to carry on your day to day living and trade, and you can’t just spot it by looking at the person. The next Lindell could be the somewhat neurotic guy running the shop next door to yours, if only he caught a big break in business.

I’m glad to see his meltdowns have led to the Twitter bans. Lately I don’t see his commercials on the local TV stations either - is that because the stations don’t want his business, or is it because MyPillow is having a cash shortage?

Living in Minnesota, one fear I had was that Lindell would make a strong run for governor of the state in 2022. That would explain embracing T*ump, but I hope that by going off the deep-end it has ended any chances he had of running or winning.

I see them all the time on the cable stations.

Okay, so this is just a WAG, but I think it’s more of the sunk cost fallacy.

Lindell went all-in on Trump, and it kinda worked. Because as @Johnny_Bravo pointed out, this wasn’t just some guy, this was the POTUS he was backing. Arguably the most powerful person in the world. It’s like betting everything on a hand of poker, and winning, and so you try to ride the hot hand, and you lose, but you keep going because you have to win back what you lost.

I suspect it’s not the usual MAGA cult stuff here, or at least that’s not all of it. I think that he tied himself to Trump so strongly that rather than untie himself from the sinking ship to swim away, he’d rather try to keep that ship afloat. Again, this is just my WAG, I might be wrong.

That was worth a patent?

The thing I noticed about Lindell on his commercials is the rather prominent cross he wore. Nothing against Christians, but isn’t it customary to wear the cross under your clothes, close to your heart? Having it outside like he does makes me think that he wants to be seen wearing the cross, rather than for his personal, internal faith.

According to that article, Lindell was consuming so much crack cocaine that local dealers made an agreement to cut him off out of concern for his health. You’ve got to have a pretty serious drug problem when your crack dealer tells you he’s worried about how much crack you’re doing.

On the other hand, this looks like a puff piece article. I doubt the reporter spoke to any crack dealers. I’m assuming the source for this anecdote was Lindell himself. And the article makes it clear that Lindell bases his life on equal parts self-promotion and self-delusion.

This man is even more delusional than I imagined. Unlike Trump who hasn’t had to live in reality so far this guy has. Whatever the true back story is we are seeing some kind of classical Greek tragedy madness occurring in real life.

He struggled with substance abuse during his younger years, and credits God with helping him turn his life around. He’s an evangelical Christian, which includes being an active witness about his faith to others. Hence, the not-so-subtle cross.

His success is based on being just another con artist.

The demand for a hero figure to follow has been so desperate among the right that even someone like Trump would do.

Had it be a better looking and more coherent person, you’d see the same cult, but with the intensity magnified 2-3x fold.

Hey, even Hitler wasn’t that good looking.

There was a thread about this in the past. It is worth noting, however plenty of dishonest businessmen haven’t tried to get a president to declare martial law. His being a pillow huckster is not all that remarkable compared to his insane Trump fantasies.

Lindell claims that the lawsuits filed against him are the result of political opposition.

This illustrates both sides of his personality. Making false health claims was self-promotion. Claiming that those false claims were shut down over political opposition was self-delusion.

You could see that in Republicans when Obama was elected. The amount of projection that was evident in their wailing about “You think Obama is the Messiah” in those days was enough to run a million multiplexes.

It was evident even then that what Republicans really, really wanted was their very own messiah.

Right. His product and/or his sales practices being ripoffs were within the normal-world range of things expected of someone with his general image. And he was succeeding in making a buck off of it.

Showing up with harebrained plans for voiding an election, not so much.

Congratulations to him for breaking that self-destructive pattern and turning his life around. If Lindell wants to say “buy my pillow”, or “I’m a Christian”, that’s fine. But his commercials look like “buy my pillow because I’m a Christian”, and that rubs me the wrong way, a bit.

I don’t disagree, and though I’m a Christian, I’m not a fan of that sort of witnessing, because, as you note, it’s also a not-too-subtle signaling to other Christians to patronize his business for that reason alone.

I’ll also note that, if you go to the MyPillow web site, at the top of the page, above all of the actual offers for buying pillows or other crap, there’s a special offer to buy Lindell’s autobiographical book. :stuck_out_tongue:

But of course.

I take it, no link to “The Truth About The Election” or “Persecuted by Everyone” yet?

My dad not only wore a big prominent cross like that all the time, he was unable to take it off. He made the chain it hung on too short to fit over his head, and then somehow welded the chain shut while he was wearing it.

He was also not a particularly sane person.

Around here selling a business as “Christian owned” is a big thing.

In the beginning of the pandemic when my local independent grocery store was allowing only 50 people inside at a time, some very old, very country guy waiting in line outside behind me was talking my ear off. He mentioned how the store was Christian owned. From the looks of him and where we live, I expected to hear praise for that. I was really surprised when he immediately volunteered that that meant they were probably big crooks. (Before I could react to that, we were allowed in the store.)