Two visually stunning French films -

I watched both of these today and thought the cinematography was incredible.

The City of Lost Children [1995] - Trailer

Krank (Daniel Emilfork), who cannot dream, kidnaps young children to steal their dreams. One (Ron Perlman), a former whale hunter who is as strong as a horse, sets forth to search for Denree, his little brother who was kidnapped by Krank’s men. Helped by young Miette (Judith Vittet), he soon arrives in La Cite des Enfants Perdus (The City of Lost Children). IMDB link
Micmacs [2009] -Trailer

Avid movie-watcher and video store clerk Bazil has had his life all but ruined by weapons of war. His father was killed by a landmine in Morocco and one fateful night a stray bullet from a nearby shootout embeds itself in his skull, leaving him on the verge of instantaneous death. Losing his job and his home, Bazil wanders the streets until he meets Slammer, a pardoned convict who introduces him to a band of eccentric junkyard dealers including Calculator, a math expert and statistician, Buster, a record-holder in human cannonball feats, Tiny Pete, an artistic craftsman of automatons, and Elastic Girl, a sassy contortionist. When chance reveals to Bazil the two weapons manufacturers responsible for building the instruments of his destruction, he constructs a complex scheme for revenge that his newfound family is all too happy to help set in motion. IMDB link

If you liked those two you should check out Amelie, A Very Long Engagement and Delicatessen.
All of those films are by the same director of the two films you mention.

Yep, I would say those three are his best, though I like City of Lost Children a good bit, too. I thought Mic Macs felt like a retread. Jeunet also directed Alien: Resurrection, which I like more than the average Aliens fan does, but I won’t generally recommend it.

One of City of Lost Children’s visual strengths is the incredibly good costumery by Jean Paul Gaultier.

I second (or third, or whatever) these recommendations. Amelie is a feast for the senses. Delicatessen is a… feast of another kind. :wink:

Damn you, Mangetout, I was just going to recommend Amelie. Amazing cinematography, art production, direction and a damn good movie.

I enjoyed City of Lost Children, I will have to check out the other.

I always loved the Cocteau version of Beauty and the Beast. I should buy it next time I am a bit flush with money, or put it on my Christmas list.

And for more of the French quirkiness, I heartily recommend The Triplets of Belleville.

Definitely seconded, and I’d also suggest the followup, The Illusionist. Triplets is more entertaining, but The Illusionist is possibly more poignant.

City of Lost Children may tie with Pan’s Labyrinth as my all-time favorite movies (yes, I do like movies about brave kids in intolerable situations–also I love the book Alice in Wonderland for similar reasons). It’s so very weird and so very beautiful.

I am and have been for a long time of Jeunet and Caro, City of Lost Children is one of my favorites.

If you liked these, I’d also recommend a somewhat different but still very fun French movie, A Town Called Panic. It comes on Encore and Sundance sometimes.

Tim

Oh yes. Good call.

Another ‘kids brave in adversity with a fantasy twist’ movie that came out at a similar time to City of Lost Children, and I enjoyed as much, The Secret of Roan Inish.

I prefer Delicatessen to The City of Lost Children, which is also visually stunning. It’s surprisingly charming for a story featuring cannibalism so prominently. Sadly, I didn’t get on with Amelie.

The Triplets of Belleville has a beautiful section involving a Pedalo and an Ocean Liner.

Another French film that is beautifully filmed is The Well Diggers Daughter. I was a bit skeptical when I added it to my LoveFilm list, but loved it.

For another foreign language treat, try the Dutch Film Winter In Wartime.

Actually, this is what I like about LoveFilm - I try speculative stuff because it is cheap to do so, and sometimes it pays off with a really enjoyable film.
Sometimes, though, it does not, and I endure some stinkers. And my wife does not talk to me for a week :smack:

Si

Here’s a post on my blog about Jeunet’s films. CITY is a masterpiece and one of my favorite films of the 90s.